Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2017 14:00

System fine but Support Assistant "Hard Drive - not installed"

As stated, my system runs fine but I wanted to try the F12 diagnostics to see how it worked.  To my surprise it shows a problem was found and the Hard Drive - not installed.

Would this be a normal situation when running a PCIe drive using a NVMe driver?

I am wondering what the Support Assistant would do if it popped up for some reason.  If it can't see the M.2 drive, would it give me incorrect responses?

Should I disable Support Assistant?

System is two week old XPS 13 9365 2-in-1, running a Samsung 960 Pro in PCIe mode using the Samsung NVMe driver, running without problems..

Thanks

• 

16.7K Posts

March 7th, 2017 05:00

Saltgrass,

Support Assist is for updating drivers. Did you install the hard drive yourself?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 7th, 2017 06:00

Thanks for the response.  I was referring to the ePSA (F12 option)I think you call it, which refers to Support Assistant or Support Assist.when it runs.

If I understand correctly, it is set to run after two problem boots or a Level 2 setting  The Windows Recovery will kick in on the third boot failure, so not really sure how they are designed to work together.  But the diagnostic shows no hard drive.  It does say it is initiating the PCIe but does not show the PCIe drive.  

When the support assistant kicks in, and it did so once when I was changing the SATA controller.  I cannot count on it being able to see the PCIe drive and may throw an error because of that.    I suppose I will have to wait until it actually happens .  If the diagnostics are supposed to see a PCIe drive, it does not.  It did see the drive when I had it running on the SATA controller.

And yes, I replaced the original Toshiba PCIe drive with a Samsung  960 Pro drive, using the NVMe controller, and used a Win 10 Recovery drive from the original install, to set it up.

Thanks again.

No Events found!