Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2017 06:00

TB16 DisplayPort stopped working

Hello, 

This morning I came back to the office and the DisplayPort is no longer working. I had 2 Dell monitors plugged into TB16, HDMI + DP - both through DVI adaptors.All worked fine for a week. I would unplug my XPS, go home, return back, plug the TB16 back in every morning. All was fine. 

Last Friday evening I disconnected my TB from my XPS 15, cut the power to the TB16 (and the rest of the office for that matter...) and left home. 

Today I came back turned the power back on, plugged in my TB16 into my XPS and... everything as it was save for the DP.  I tried the following: 

1. Switching between monitors

2. Unplugging/plugging everything possible

3. Restarting my pc

4. Restarting TB16

5. Installing all updates from DELL

Unless my DP to DVI adapter died over the weekend (while being off), I don't know what might have happened and how to solve this. 

For the time being, I went back to having HDM + VGA, which isn't what I prefer, but it works for now. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 14th, 2017 07:00

If you've already unplugged the power from the TB16 to reset it and you don't have a way to rule out the adapter (no native DisplayPort display or other dock to try connecting the adapter to?), then it's tough to conclusively determine underlying cause. It would either be a bad adapter or I guess a TB16 that died.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2017 08:00

Some say "reset bios" but I don't see how bios on my XPS would affect this.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2017 10:00

I reset the BIOS to the factory settings and it worked.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 14th, 2017 10:00

It wouldn't.  That's probably coming from the fact that recent BIOS updates for some XPS models and their Precision counterparts have caused intermittent dropout issues with USB devices connected through TB16/WD15 docks, but that's a completely separate issue from video, which nobody seems to be having issues with even after these BIOS updates.

No Events found!