Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2015 15:00

TPM Missing, even after being enabled in firmware

I've got a few E5520's and E5510's that are out in the field, and simply won't see the TPM. I've enabled them in the firmware/bios, but they do not present themselves in Windows 7. (no "unknown devices" in the device manager.).

I was able to pull a spare 5520 that we have, and image it via our in house imaging process (SCCM, and the Dell Drive Cabs), and the TPM shows up just fine. 

What could be preventing the OS from seeing the TPM? I don't see any TPM drivers in the Downloads center, and I've tried adding the drivers from the same Driver CAB that I use with the imaging system, but still no luck.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

August 13th, 2015 19:00

After some tinkering, and the help of a co-worker, I managed to find out that the TPM was infact showing up in the device manager, but under the "system devices", not "Security Devices". It was being listed as "Amtel TPM". 

We were looking at driver paths for another E5520 that we had imaged, and noticed they were different. So We right clicked on the "Amtel TPM" entry under System Devices, and chose "update Driver", and instead of searching Windows update, browsed, and chose the "let me pick of a list of options", and the "Trusted Platform Module 1.2" driver, and Windows was then able to see the TPM.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 11th, 2015 16:00

The TPM drivers are part of the Wave/Dell Data Protection software.

< >

Check the link for some TPM troubleshooting information.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

August 12th, 2015 10:00

Hey EJN63, thanks for the quick reply, but that still did not work. The TPM is still missing from the Device Manager, as well as the Access software control panel. 

No Events found!