Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2015 20:00

Touch screen stopped working

I have a Dell XPS 15 and the touch screen stopped working. I went on line to Dell support and followed the directions to go to the  USB and disable the computer from auto powering the USB device and it still does not work.  Any suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 9th, 2015 23:00

Hi,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check for issue resolution.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall.
  3. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  4. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if the touch screen is working.

Secondly, I would advise that you refresh the drivers for the touch screen by going into the device manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below.

1.    Open ‘Device Manager’ by clicking the Start button  . In the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.

2.    When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘Mice and other pointing device’ and ‘Human Interface devices’.

3.    Please click on the arrow mark beside ‘Mice and other pointing device’ and ‘Human Interface devices’.

4.   Right click on the touch screen device and select Uninstall.

5.   Restart the computer and check for issue resolution.

May 10th, 2015 10:00

Ravi:

I am operating on Windows 8.1 so in the Device Manager the Human interface is listed under its own name not under the Mice and other pointing devices and under the Human interface it only lists the airplane mode. 

Under the Mice and other pointing devices is listed Dell touchpad.  It gives me the option to uninstall it but will this not disable the touch screen altogether?

I did try to update the driver software by selecting the Dell Touchpad driver update and the message I got was that the drivers are up to date so this did not resolve the issue.

I also tried your suggestion to unplug the computer and hold down the power button.  This too was unsuccessful. 

What do you recommend now?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 17th, 2015 18:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

After the BIOS update please check if you find any device under Human interface in the device manager. If not please consider reinstalling the operating system.

No Events found!