Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2016 13:00

Touchpad of N5110 not detected after replacing hard driver

I replaced the hard-drive of my N5110 with SSD. After replacing that hard drive, I am unable to use the touchpad. It is not even detected by the Windows device manager. 

I checked the cable, which is fine. I even replaced it with a new touchpad from market, but even that piece did not work. So I believe I am missing some low-level driver needed to communicate with the Touchpad IC. 

I have download various drivers available on the internet but still no success. Can anyone tell me the low level drivers needed to run Touchpad? 

I will be very obliged

2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 12:00

Hi MALIKFEHAN,

Do the left and right click functions work? Are you able to use any gestures on the touchpad at all? Does this happen with or without the adapter connected?

Try to flash the BIOS - http://dell.to/1JZP8qH - restart the system and check.

If not, then you might need to replace the palmrest assembly - http://bit.ly/2gK5iNo

If the controller has been damaged, then the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 9th, 2016 12:00

No "low level" drivers are needed.  Does the trackpad work when you're in BIOS setup?  If it doesn't, and you've already replaced the palmrest, suspicion turns to a damaged connector on the mainboard.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 10th, 2016 07:00

What operating system is installed?  When you reloaded the OS, did you install the chipset driver and the system software?

3 Posts

December 10th, 2016 07:00

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I flashed the Old BIOS and turn on the laptop. I opened the Device manager which took very long time to load. I was able to see "Dell TouchPad" under the "Mice and other pointing device".

Happily I updated its driver to the one provided by the DELL, restarted the Laptop and Touchpad disappered again.

I repeated the same process again. downgrade the Bios ( using /forceit from bootable USB), launch device manager, it take 3/4 minutes to load then show up DELL Touchpad, update its driver and its gone again.

Also I did change the palmrest, and its behaviour remained same i.e. Windows did not detect it.

Touchpad Buttons does not work as well.

2K Posts

December 10th, 2016 12:00

Hi MALIKFEHAN,

Thank you for the update.

Are you able to use the touchpad / buttons while in BIOS environment? If it works fine while in BIOS, then it is a OS issue. If it does not function while in BIOS as well, then I would suspect a controller failure.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2016 13:00

Hi

No Even in the BIOS touchpad is not working. so apparently either palmrest is faulty or something is wrong on motherboard level.

I will try to replace the palmrest again and see its wroking after flashing BIOS. I will update you later on.

Thanks again for help

2K Posts

December 11th, 2016 10:00

Hi MALIKFEHAN,

Thank you for the update.

If the palmrest is not working in BIOS environment, then as you are aware, it is a hardware issue. I would suspect a controller failure which requires a motherboard replacement.

You could flash the BIOS and test again as required.

No Events found!