Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2017 12:00

Tried to reinstall windows now getting 'No Bootable devices' error

I was infected with the svcvmx Trojan and decided I was going to reinstall Windows to get rid of the virus. I am not sure if I did something to cause this error but I really need answers. Will I have to buy a new computer? I'm not sure of what to do. When I start for maybe 1-2 seconds I get the Dell logo and then a black screen that says No Bootable Devices Found and under Press F1 for retry boot, F2 for setup utility which and F5 to run onboard diagnostics which works for a second and then gives me a rainbow screen. Please help!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Any chance of getting a full model number, basic system plus 4 digit number, such as XPS 13 9560?

11 Posts

I got it, Inspiron 5558

11 Posts

Is there a way to find it through BIOS? The most I know about that is it's a Inspiron.

11 Posts

August 13th, 2017 13:00

I got it, Inspiron 5558

11 Posts

August 13th, 2017 13:00

I got it, Inspiron 5558. I'm having trouble trying to figure it how to use this sorry for those other post

11 Posts

August 13th, 2017 14:00

It says I have a build of 4302.10 UEFI ROM and when I loaded default in it and restarted it came up with DELL SupportAssist which I got a test and this error: www.dell.com/.../result I also did see UEFI in the Boot sequence on setup utility.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 13th, 2017 14:00

Did you maybe change your BIOS settings between BIOS and UEFI?  If so, you should first change it back to whatever you had.  If not, check what you're CURRENTLY using, then yes if you're comfortable reinstalling Windows, your drivers, and applications from scratch, you should do so.  You can download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft here: www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 13th, 2017 18:00

Ok, then use the link I provided to download an ISO from Microsoft.  I think their utility allows you to create installation media that supports booting in UEFI mode.  You do need to make sure to do that (i.e. make sure the USB boot option you select is under the UEFI category) because that's the only way the installer will perform a UEFI installation of Windows onto your hard drive.  If you've got malware on your system, I would make sure that during Windows Setup you choose to delete every existing partition on your internal hard drive until it all shows as Unallocated Space, and then click Next.  Windows Setup will establish the required partition layout at that point.

11 Posts

August 13th, 2017 19:00

Ok to make sure I understand I download the ISO file from a different computer and put it on a USB and make sure it is UEFI?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 14th, 2017 15:00

You are using Win 10, it appears the system came with Win 8.1..?

You don't really say what you did with the drive to get rid of the Virus.  Did you wipe it completely or just one partition?

If you system is UEFI you would need a x64 OS and the USB drive needs to be formatted as FAT32.  I suppose the most important thing for you to do is get the USB drive booting.  Usually an F12 key very early in the boot process will give you the Boot Device menu.  I am not sure if this is what you meant earlier but the USB drive should show as a UEFI version.

11 Posts

August 14th, 2017 16:00

I need to buy a USB first so I'll get back to you guys later

11 Posts

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

If you need Windows 8.1, that ISO link is here: www.microsoft.com/.../windows8.  I believe the Microsoft tool creates media that can be booted in UEFI mode, but if not, download the free tool Rufus, which definitely can.  You just select that you want to set up your flash drive as GPT for UEFI systems and then point it to the ISO.

11 Posts

I used a bat file to kill the virus through task manager but it was on my startup in task manager and I wasn't able to use antivirus because it disabled it so I followed a YT tutorial. I believe I created a new partition. I will find the video and link it after this comment

No Events found!