Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2013 22:00

USB 3.0 not working after clean Windows 7 re-install

Hi guys - I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen when it comes to finding the right drivers for my hardware, but since my Windows 7 clean install, I haven't been able to use my two USB 3.0 ports on my L501x. I've tried installing what appear to be the drivers from the support site - they unzip and install, but absolutely nothing happens, and I'm still left with unrecognized USB controllers in my device manager. Can anyone assist?

807 Posts

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Right click on the Bluetooth icon in system tray and click on Settings. (See 1st Screenshot)

The first box should only be ticked when you want to search for new devices.

Ensure both tick boxes under "Connections" are ticked. You should then be prompted when a BT device wants to connect.

Then go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers and double click on your BT Mouse (See second Screenshot)

Under Configuration and Settings - You can toggle the radio buttons dependent on your security preference. I always leave mine as shown so I'm not always having to confirm the connection between my mobile and the laptop.

2.6K Posts

August 10th, 2013 23:00

Hello Dividedsky,

Please try installing the Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller and check how it goes. 

Hope this helps!

807 Posts

August 11th, 2013 08:00

Did you install all drivers in the correct order after the re-install

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView 

Post a screen shot of your device manager with all problem devices expanded

16 Posts

August 11th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the response - yep that's the one I keep trying to install. I download and extract, and nothing updates in the device manager, and the  USB 3.0 ports on my machine don't even slightly recognize my external hard drive. I know the ports work because I used them for the last two years, even up to the minutes before my clean Windows 7 install.

807 Posts

August 11th, 2013 09:00

Try installing the chipset drivers first then the USB3.0 drivers

16 Posts

August 11th, 2013 09:00

Therein might lie the problem. I didn't know there was a specific order to install the drivers until now. I've already installed them out of order. I had to install the networking driving to connect to my wifi in order to get the updates anyway. Does this mean its took late and I have  to reformat, re-install windows 7?

16 Posts

August 11th, 2013 10:00

The disc should be here by Tuesday. Perhaps I should wait until then to retry my Windows 7 clean install.

16 Posts

No luck - USB controller still unrecognized in the device manager. I don't think there is anything else I can try. Do you recommend I do another clean install of Windows 7 and install the drivers in the correct order (other than the networking driver which has to come first so I can connect to the internet to install the other drivers)?

16 Posts

Yep I used a windows replacement disk which discovered had zero drivers, only the OS. I'm downloading the drivers to a flash drive now and renaming them based on install priority cited in the link above. One question I had about the chipsets - do I need to install all 4, or just the USB 3.0 (others include management engine interface, Intel HM57, JMB389 card reader etc)

807 Posts

Eh? How did you re-install Windows last time? You did say you did a clean install???? If you mean the drivers disk then just do your own.

807 Posts

Chipset category order install is

Chipset HM57 family

Intel Management Engine

Card Reader

USB 3.0

Don't forget Dell System Software has to be installed 1st before any of the above.

807 Posts

Well you could try installing the drivers manually by extracting them to a separate folder and updating the problem entries direct from Device Manager. But yes if it was me I'd start from scratch. DO NOT install the network drivers first otherwise you'll be in the same boat. Did you not receive a utilities and drivers disk? If not download all the necessary drivers first to a USB stick or CD and install that way,

Print off the driver installation order list first too.

Install all the drivers first and then do all the Windows Updates last. Don't let Windows Update install any hardware drivers, just get the usual security / bug fixes.

16 Posts

August 12th, 2013 19:00

Two other questions. 1. Should I reboot after each driver installation, even when not prompted? 2. If I wait for the DVD, is there an option to automatically install drivers in the proper order from the DVD itself, was it much more manual than that?

807 Posts

August 13th, 2013 04:00

If you are not prompted to reboot then I see no need to do so. The drivers utility CD will provide all the drivers specific to your system but will not automatically install them in the correct order, you must do this yourself manually using the list provided earlier. Please note the drivers CD may contain outdated drivers so please ensure you visit Dell's support site afterwards for all the latest releases.

16 Posts

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Thanks Paul. Your advice has been really helpful. I installed last night in order, and everything works MUCH better this time. The only issue I have now is I can't, for the life of me, pair my Bluetooth mouse with the machine. I go to the add Bluetooth device screen, it finds the mouse, but does not go to the usual passkey (pairing code) screen. It simply adds the mouse to the devices, while the mouse remains in discover mode. The Bluetooth icon is in the systray so that tells me the driver at least installed ok. Any suggestions?

No Events found!