Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2017 13:00

USB Boot problem

Dear I'm using Dell Inspiron 3542 (i3-4030u, 4096 DDR3L). I want to install windows 10 from USB stick. i make a bootable USB using RUFUS 2.15 (ISO downloaded from Microsoft website). after selecting USB Stick from boot menu system enter into "Automatic repair" menu instead of starting fresh installing process.  So how to resolve this problem

I use that USB on my other system it works perfectly.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 18th, 2017 18:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you run diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 18th, 2017 19:00

Since I have no way of knowing what configuration a 3542 has, I can just emphasis a UEFI system needs a boot USB drive to be formatted as FAT 32.  If you did it correctly and you system is UEFI capable, it should show the drive with the UEFI version.

If your system is jumping into the repair option, it may not be seeing the USB drive.

3 Posts

July 18th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for replying LSUAN51.

I do this but problem remains same. I also try to use secure mode on and off and switching between legacy and UEFI but  problem not solve

3 Posts

July 18th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for replying Saltgrass

Flash drive which I'm using is formatted as FAT32 technology.In boot menu devices USB is showing with name of KINGSTON.......  but when I choose this drive for boot automatic repair start.

1 Message

July 19th, 2017 00:00

I am having a similar issue with my inspiron 15, the machine refuses to boot up at all. I elected to try and reinstall windows via USB. I press F12 get into the one time boot menu, the USB flashes for a while and it looks like a screen is going to load however nothing happens, the screen eventually goes blank and the USB light turns off (I am assuming it is no longer reading) does anyone know what would be causing this and if so how to fix it, thanks heaps!!

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 19th, 2017 19:00

Hi HAlexander84,

Thank you for your message.

Is the USB drive detected in the one-time boot menu?

Try using another USB port & check if you can boot.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB

This could also be caused by a faulty image in the drive.

You can create a recovery media (Windows 10) by following the instructions on this link http://dell.to/2ucxG3X

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & send the service tag along with the service tag, registered name & email address.

No Events found!