Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

17 Posts

March 28th, 2004 22:00

USB Hub Problem Continuing

Howdy,

I'm continuing to have trouble with my Belkin USB Hub (this is my 3rd HUB and they work fine on other pc's in the house). It's self-powered (ac adapter), but my 5100 won't recognize it at start-up. To work around this, each time i shut my pc off, i unplug the hub from the pc, then start the computer, let it boot up completely and then plug the hub in... no probs then.... if i have other things plugged into the usb ports on the pc (mouse, printer, etc) they are recognized (after going into the device manager and disallowing windows to turn off the usb ports to save power).... i'm still just having the trouble with the hub....

at this point, it's more of an annoyance.. i don't feel i should have to unplug my hub each time i power off my computer!!.... any suggestions??

other info... i have the most current Bios and the appropriate Windows Updates... other than this glitch, I've had no trouble with the pc (other than the truemobile 1300 drops which was finally solved by the latest drivers).....

thanks in advance....

Magoogirl

808 Posts

March 28th, 2004 23:00

Have you tried just dropping into hibernation? I don't know if will make a difference. But hopefully someone else will come along with better suggestions.

617 Posts

March 29th, 2004 02:00

Try installing Dell's Notebook System Software

17 Posts

March 29th, 2004 15:00

no joy on the Notebook System Software..... it didn't fix the problem and it mucked up my internet connection.. ended up using system restore to undo the install..... oh well.. guess i'll just live with unplugging the hub!

thanks for the help anyways....

magoogirl34

10 Posts

March 30th, 2004 06:00

Yet another USB replugging issue - WAKE UP DELL and help us fix this problem!

8 Posts

March 30th, 2004 09:00

Hi

THE BAD NEWS:
The Inspirion notebook obviously has a general USB detection problem... this is proven by the MANY related issue's.  Like forum member 'alittlernr' said: 'We can't all be doing something wrong.'

THE RELATIVELY GOOD NEWS:
To work around this issue: verify that your notebook is not running on batteries but on AC power when booting.  That resolves the issue in most cases.  If it doesn't, replugging the USB device is the only option left.
You might try a BIOS/system update (adviced by some people) but I've not seen this helping anyone (with a related USB detection problem) so far.

THE GOOD NEWS WE'RE ALL WAITING FOR:
...is yet to come: it's about time that a Dell tech support person at least confirms the USB detection problem and - if possible - supplies us with a convenient workaround, BIOS/system update or whatever (a full refund would be nice :).

FYI: I have a related problem, see message 'USB Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse for notebooks needs REPLUGGING'

Good luck!

10 Posts

March 30th, 2004 14:00

Yes, forum member "DELL-BobT" has little to say.  Can't they just admit it is a problem on their end.  They want to blame a "non-Dell" peripheral so tech support can avoid the issue, but if you read carefully even those that bought peripherals from Dell with their system have this problem.

No Windows updates, no BIOS updates, nor do any patches work.

220 Posts

March 30th, 2004 23:00

I had various similar problems at first. After a clean load of Windows XP and all the latest drivers and BIOS updates, I no longer have the issues. I use four different hubs (two USB 1.1, two USB 2, one of each type is powered). All of them work fine hot/cold plugged, swapped, whatever. I take the machine off the one at work, suspend it (not hibernate), then hot plug the other at home with no issue.

28 Posts

October 13th, 2004 11:00

They did admit there was a problem that currently has no solution that I know of, But there is a work around go into device manager and disable "Intel XXX/XXX USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - XXX" from the menu tree and prepare for a ton of dings as everything loads up. I have a Beilkin 7 port USB and it works fine with out 2.0 controller enabled but if i enable it all the devices on the hub disapear and it only sees the hub itself and nothing else.

DELL MAKE A PATCH FOR GOD SAKE!:smileymad:

2.2K Posts

October 13th, 2004 15:00

All,

The fix for Port Replicator USB problems was announced on this forum in August.  Please update to the latest version of the Notebook System Software.

10 Posts

October 14th, 2004 01:00

Rollie:

Can you please post a link where I can get this software.  I'm having problems finding it on the Dell support sight.

Thanks!

2.2K Posts

October 14th, 2004 17:00

All,

I used alittlernr's Service Tag number to find the file, but it is the same file for all recent systems.  Check the Systems list to make sure that yours is listed.

10 Posts

October 15th, 2004 02:00

Thanks Rollie!  Now if you could get someone to post a video driver for the 5100 that is newer than mid-2003 I'd consider you a saint!

28 Posts

October 16th, 2004 14:00

Hey Rollie that NSS patch does not do a thing to fix this, the only way to get my laptop to acknowledge anything attached to the hub is to disable the USB 2.0 controller in device manager, i have every windows update and every Dell update the latest bios and nothing fixes this issue when the USB 2.0 controller is enabled it just sees the hub when disabled it sees all the devices the hub is a 7 port belkin usb hub it is self powered. As i said before dell needs to fix this issue it is obviously a problem specially with all the posts i have seen relating to it.
No Events found!