Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 24th, 2012 17:00

USB Ports not working

I have Dell Inspiron 1440 and suddenly all my 3 USB ports are not working.  Does anybody know what specific driver I need to reload on my computer to get this problem?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 26th, 2012 11:00

USB support is built into the chipset driver and Windows.  You can try reloading the chipset driver for your system first - if that doesn't work, then take the system back to its factory install - and if that doesn't work, you know you've a hardware problem and will need a system board.

Chipset driver is here:

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14

2.6K Posts

August 24th, 2012 21:00

Hello,

This problem is mostly due to the services getting disabled. We need to enable all the services from Msconfig. Follow the steps mentioned bellow.

-- Click Start.
-- In Search program and files tab type in msconfig.
-- Press Enter.
--  When the window comes up, click the service tab.
-- Click Enable All.
-- Click Apply – Ok.
-- Restart the computer.

Check the functionality that should fix the issue. Please let me know the results.
Following is an image as to how the msconfig window would look like.

8 Posts

August 25th, 2012 09:00

I just followed the above instruction and the usb ports are still not working.  I was told that all I need to do is to re install the usb driver, but unfortunately I do not know which one.  Do you have an idea about which driver I should install to get the usb ports back working?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 25th, 2012 10:00

Do the ports work in Safe Mode (F8 before Windows loads)?

8 Posts

NO.  My external hard drive light green light is on and I can feel the vibration, however I cannot access it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Is it just the hard drive, or do other USB devices like a mouse not work?

8 Posts

None of the USB devices work that is why  I believe I need  to reinstall the USB driver.

8 Posts

Before I go the expensive route of "replacing the system board" why don't I just simply find the right usb driver and reinstall it?  Which brings me back to my original question.  Do you know the right usb driver for me to reinstall?  If I rinstall the driver and it does not work, then I know that I will have to explore the other option!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If the ports don't work in safe mode, you have a hardware problem - not a driver problem.

8 Posts

I have two usb ports on the right side and one usb port on the right side of my pc....how could all three ports on the opposite sides of my pc all fail at the same time?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It's possible, but in safe mode with default windows drivers, if the USB ports don't work, it points to a hardware problem.

934 Posts

Even though the picture shows  a PCI-card you can easily see why all of your USB ports could fail at the same time:

just imagine the "big" chip on the card decides to stop functioning......

"ejn63"

Would it be possible for "yinp50" to use the BIOS screen to test a USB mouse? I can use a mouse on my inspiron 1545 but I know that some older laptops don't have this ability.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If the USB controller is what failed, it would explain the problem -- since there's no way to add USB ports by means of an express card, you'll need to replace the system board.  To be absolutely sure it's a hardware problem, do a factory restore of the system (F8 before Windows loads) -- if that doesn't solve the problem, replace the system board.

8 Posts

Thanks, I'll try this  right now.

193 Posts

August 26th, 2012 12:00

See if you can access the drives in a pre-windows environment (f12, the try to boot from USB) If it tells you it is not bootable -- software problem.  If it tells you it doesn't exist - hard ware.  If software, reinstall chipset driver, if no go delete and recreate the UsB root hubs.

No Events found!