Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2010 20:00

Unconventional Keyboard Issue - Motherboard Fried?

Hi All,

I have a 2.2-year-old Inspiron 1525 that's out of warranty. My sister recently spilled a tiny bit of water on it which didn't seem like a big deal at first, so we continued using it. Now, however, the built-in keyboard, an external USB keyboard, and on-screen keyboard rarely work (it worked less and less often, as we weren't smart enough to just let it sit unplugged). If a button doesn't work on the built-in keyboard, it doesn't work on the on-screen keyboard either--bizarre. I've tried reinstalling the entire OS and updating the BIOS to no avail.

What should I do? I just unplugged it, carefully opened it up, and let it sit. Any ideas of what parts I might need to replace? I'm not too familiar with the parts of a laptop, though I know the basic gist of what each part does.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help in advance.

Mark

176 Posts

June 4th, 2010 18:00

keyboards on ebay go for about 25 bucks.  go to categories, computers, computer components, and type in dell 1525 keyboard. that will bring up your choices.

7 Posts

June 4th, 2010 18:00

Thanks for the reply. However, it's my understanding that since neither an external nor on-screen keyboard works, simply buying a new internal keyboard isn't going to fix anything. Is that correct?

7 Posts

June 4th, 2010 19:00

Thanks, EJN63!

Are you implying that replacing the internal keyboard for ~$25 might fix the problem (of neither built-in/on-screen/external keyboards working)?

And by system board, do you mean the motherboard?

Thanks!

Mark 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 4th, 2010 19:00

The only internal part that would cause the problem aside from the keyboard is the system board.  On a budget system like this one, it may not make sense to replace that - it'll cost you upward of $300 without labor, and you'll get only a 90 day warranty on the part.

7 Posts

June 7th, 2010 17:00

Can anyone else help with this? Thanks so much!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 7th, 2010 18:00

It is odd that the on-screen keyboard doesn't work - you can try replacing the internal one but are likely faced with a mainboard replacement.

No Events found!