Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2017 06:00

Undersized power adapter when starting from WD15 and Precision 3520

Hi,

I received my Dock WD15 and AC Adapter 130W and install all driver available on Dell Support for my Precision 3520 with real serial tag and followed the recommandation here : en.community.dell.com/.../19985641

But, when i connected everything and trying to start for the Dock, i have this error message:

You have attached an undersized 95W power adapter to your system, which is less than the recommended 130W power adapter

After that, I choose F1 to start Windows (on laptop), and everything wokrs (LCD, mouse, keyboard and charing battery to full...)

And when i enter into the bios, i see 95W on AC Adapter, but i have a new 130W.

When i try starting from a 240W from my 3510 friend, it works fine.

Where is the problem?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 5th, 2017 07:00

According to the FAQ page for the WD15, when used with a Precision 15 3000 Series, the WD15 must be powered by a 180W power adapter.  If you were using a TB16, you would need a 240W adapter.  The reason is that the dock itself requires some power both for its internal components and to keep capacity available for devices you might connect to the USB-A ports or the USB-C port on the BACK of the WD15 (or Thunderbolt port on the back of the TB16), so if the dock is only getting 130W to begin with, it can't make all of that available to the system you connect to it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If your system has discrete video, 130W is needed just for the system alone -- it sounds like you're trying to use a 130W adapter to power both the dock and the system.  There's not enough power to the system - you need a 180W or 240W adapter to run the dock and system together.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Is your 130W AC adapter a Dell ?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 5th, 2017 08:00

I wouldn't recommend just pressing F1 as a long-term solution.  Best case, your system will charge more slowly than it would otherwise.  But other possible results include throttling the GPU and/or CPU performance when workload is higher, or it might instead deplete the battery even while the dock is attached in order to make up the power deficit under higher load, in which case you could end up draining your battery even while docked.

16 Posts

December 5th, 2017 08:00

Thank you, i advised our technical support.

Now, i will stay starting with F1 after error message.

489 Posts

December 5th, 2017 14:00

I think charging with lower power may not be a problem for everyone. When the laptop is mostly idling, the consumption may be less than 10W.

But indeed pay attention to the possible throttling of the CPU and the GPU. I've got a 45W Dell AC charger that is useful for travel with the XPS 15 for light work. The CPU feels heavily throttled, but can be sped up via the power profile settings, and also speeds up on its own after longer periods of workload - then it has to use juice from the battery. The GPU is throttled even more than on battery and can't be sped up.

16 Posts

December 6th, 2017 11:00

I talked to our IT manager, and it tells me that the IT team maked error by giving us WD15 with 130w and we should have WD15 with 180w.

They are going to change it for us.

Thanks for everyone.

No Events found!