Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2013 06:00

Updated to 8.1, lesser sound quality (Inspiron 15R)

Hello,

So I've now installed Windows 8.1 on my Inspiron 15R laptop, and I wish I didn't. Ever since it's installed it's constantly performaning maintenance. But that's an other case.

I've decided to download all the neccessary drivers from the Dell website just to be sure.
I remember before the update, when I hit Windows button + W I could search through settings, and when I entered "Dell", there would be some sort of audio management software that improved the audio quality many times. But since I've got Windows 8.1, I cannot find that piece of software anymore and the audio doesn't sound so great anymore on my headphones.

Does anyone know about which audio driver/software I'm talking about? I cannot remember the name neither can I find it at the downloads section of Dell...

Any help is appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Alec

5 Posts

November 25th, 2013 07:00

Which 15R model to you have? There are 5 different ones, and from the looks of it they each have different audio drivers.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 25th, 2013 07:00

Hello. Dell sells 5 models named 15R (5520, 5521, 5537, N5110, and SE 7520). Depending on which model you have, you have either an IDT, Conexant, or Reatek audio system. Any addional audio software is included in the audio driver download file. The Realtek models include WavesMaxx audio processing. It is installed when you install the audio driver. Some models have a Dell Audio control panel, which I think is the Realtek audio manager under Dell's name.

3 Posts

November 26th, 2013 01:00

Hello, thanks for the fast respnses!

Jimco, now you're mentioning it, I do remember some blue software names WavesMaxx. That does seem to be the software that enhanced my audio experiences.

Do you have any idea where I can reinstall this software?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 26th, 2013 06:00

Hello. I can't provide a link to the audio driver without knowing your full model name and the name of your operating system. I'm guessing that you have an Inspiron 5521 or 5537 model. So go to the selection page for Inspirons and click on your model name. When you get to your downloads page be sure to select your operating system in the dropdown box, and every time you navigate away from the page and later return to it, reselect your OS because the page won't remember it.

Expand the audio category and get the Realtek driver. WavesMaxx will install with the driver. Optionally, expand the Applications category and get the Quickset program. If you have any keyboard buttons that control WavesMaxx, Quickset will enable them. I don't know if the 5521/5537 models have them or not.

3 Posts

November 28th, 2013 02:00

Thanks for that info, wen't to that page after I looked to my order. Seems I'm using an 7520 Base. I'm going to try downloading those files once more and see if that works

No Events found!