Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2015 07:00

Upgrading an XPS L702X to Windows 10, a report

I have installed Windows 10 and I don't like it. My feedback follows (a section about drivers is further below).

General impressions

With time going by and with the various versions since Windows 95, users have been having less and less freedom when it comes to customizing the system. Windows 10 is no exception to that: "customizing the system" has never felt so much of an oxymoron.

The light gray color of the title bar of windows stays the same whether a window is active or not. And you can't change the color. And this is one thing among a myriad: the small task bar icons (40% smaller, ballpark figure) that can't be made bigger or that will **also** change the size of the text, the white line pictographs, the varying sizes of "live thumbnails" in Alt+Tab, etc. I don't find my way through this system and I just don't get what Microsoft is up to changing everything for the sake of changing: Windows 10 restores the oh-so-logical left-aligned window titles whereas in 8, they claimed centered titles made more sense, Aero came with Vista and saw its last days with 7. The classic window frame is now gone and replaced with a one-pixel wide line surrounded with exterior shadow, like on a web page. Yuck. It's all trivial but it's very telling as to Microsoft' replicating the "we know better" attitude of other consumer companies. I know some will say "does it matter?" but if it were so anecdotal, why was it there in the first place? and isn't it still useful to some? It's like screensavers, you know. Unless we are all to have the same taste and needs, like identical robots.

What I hate the most is the slowness, ie the fact that yesterday, with the same laptop, peripherals and components, it took me 45 seconds to reboot the laptop to the login screen. Now, it takes almost 4 minutes (3:40)! (Yes, it felt so long that I clocked it.) That includes a one minute period during which the screen is just black and nothing happens: no disk drive noise, no activity on the screen, no fan turning faster, nothing. Just nothing.

Everything is slower, even opening the WiFi networks panel is. I feel like I'm back to Vista. I now have 33 seconds to hibernation and 35 for resuming. That's 50% more than with 8.1 when I had even more programs opened.

.NET apps that I've launched (Altaro BackupFS, Countdown timer) feel more sluggish.

It's too phone/tablet oriented; just see the notification center or the settings window. We were used to icons, which helped find one's way quickly, now it's all monochromatic pictographs with greyscale text.

And the fan is constantly turning even when the CPU usage is under 4% (like when writing this post with no other program than Firefox running).

And I'll probably restore the Windows 8.1 system since I took the precaution of saving it using CloneZilla (but I'll probably be nagged by GWX.exe, the Get Windows X executable). To those who are having cold feet trying Windows 10, I've read today that downgrading is allowed by Microsoft but I don't know whether it's handled by a tool of theirs.

The good thing with upgrading was that everything (except Classic Shell, which was removed in the process) was kept as-is whereas after upgrading from 7 to 8.1, I had to reinstall all programs in Program Files. I have not seen any problem in any program except Process Explorer, which had some columns simply vanishing from the set of columns while being reported in the settings as visible. Also, the mousewheel is now working in lists (such as that of the default application per filetype) of system windows and dialogs. No search box paradigm (ie search boxes to filter lists and windows) implemented though. 

About drivers

With the exception of the touchpad, the drivers were all the same before and after the upgrade.

The touchpad still can't be disabled :-) even with the latest Synatics driver from August 2015. Pointer inertia has also not returned.

When resuming from hibernation, only the laptop's screen was reactivated: the external monitor hasn't been, which forced me to go to the screen mode (replicate, extend, etc. – of course, much slower too) and switch to replicating the laptop's screen to external monitors before switching back to extend again. Of course, the layout of windows is screwed.

The webcam works, at least in Skype.

On resume from hibernation, the external speakers are **sometimes** (I don't know exactly how often) not reactivated and sound comes from the laptop speakers, which is precisely the problem that the very driver which I installed from Realtek two months ago solved after the upgrade from 7 to 8.1. Worked flawlessly on 7, didn't work at all on 8.1 then started working flawlessly again two months ago with the new driver, then no longer works. Go figure. [UPDATE: when resuming from suspend or hibernation, with a speaker jack plugged in through the process, sound comes from both the laptop speakers AND the external speakers.]

Last Dell machine, for sure. I can't understand the lack of support for such expensive machines. 8.1 was out in October 2013 and there was already no continued support for a laptop I had bought in November 2011. The attitude is unacceptable, all the more when on many systems including the L702X, most current drivers are drivers built for Windows 7 (and timestamped 2006!) and the driver model is said to have not changed in the last 4 iterations of Windows.

Hope this helps someone :-)

August 27th, 2015 17:00

alrighty, I pulled alot of them from slimware, to disable the touchpad you need quickset, 

ok so heres a list of ones im using now

KT7XG - acceleramator 

W2TF8 - this is the touchpad driver thats currently out (sadly there isnt a update for it)

R292835 - Quickset for the L702X this controls the disable or enable of the touchpad as far as I know its version is 11.0.8

61X2W - is of course the usb 3.0 host controller which im not sure is needed at all in 10 since 8 and 10 has usb 3.0 drivers from the get go

intel's chipset driver 10.0.22 (A00) October 22, 2014 could also fix the touchpad driver I would think

these are the main ones I got installed so maybe that should help yall I know mine is working perfectly! it isnt the touchpad driver though.. if I was yall try installing that R292835 quickset first and see how it does, mind ya I installed all of these in 7 so idk if they will prevent install in 10 or not.. when I upgraded it kept them in place..

also slimware utilites driver program is very helpful thats where i got some of those from not to advertise another site on here or anything like that https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php but anyways let me know how it goes and if yall still need them ill find the appropriate links to them for ya

159 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 14:00

Quick suggestion on the slowness issue...replace your C:\ drive with an SSD. Doesn't cost much, and you'll love the performance improvement.

One of the things that I noticed was that the fans are running more. I did a lot of looking around to see if there was extra stuff running that I didn't need, vacuumed out dust, etc. Helped to a small degree, but the fans are still on higher and more than Windows 8.1. Just ordered a cooling pad to see if that will keep the laptop fans off more. We'll see.

Otherwise, I really like Windows 10. Works great on my Lenovo K450e desktop...of course Lenovo makes Windows 10 drivers available, which is very helpful. The only problem I'm having is this expensive Dell laptop and the fact that Windows Update keeps wanting to replace the Windows 7/8 drivers from Dell with generic drivers, screwing up the audio and video capabilities.

I thought I had figured out how to keep Windows Update from crunching the Dell drivers, but it turns out that didn't work completely. My newest attempt is to leave the WIndows Update generic audio driver update installed, and install the Dell OEM driver on top of it. This is working, and hopefully because the Windows Update generic driver is listed as being installed, Windows Update will stop trying to install it. Got my fingers crossed.

371 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 18:00

to stop drivers upgrade win 10

control panel  - type "advanced systems settings"  in search

click view advanced system settings

click hardware tab

then - device installation settings

September 3rd, 2015 20:00

what i did to ease temps and fan is basically turn off the turbo boost with the i7, you do that by changing your power settings and on battery and on charge instead of allowing those run 100% for cpu just put it on 99% and it wont over clock thus your temps and everything else will stay quite cool 

7 Posts

September 25th, 2015 10:00

I am just very upset that so far Dell has left the XPS 17 L702X owners out in the cold for the update to Windows 10. I thought Dell support was WAY better than that.

September 25th, 2015 15:00

Hello and good afternoon

I did not read your whole article but caught the Touch Pad issue.

Go to Device Manager and "drop down" the Mouse then right click on the Touch Pad and uninstall the driver.

You can always extract the driver from support.dell.com "drivers and diagnostics."

Food for thought.

September 25th, 2015 15:00

Hello and good afternoon

I called Microsoft and the following information will load Windows 10 immediately:

Enter in a google search engine: getmediacreationtool and run it.

Then you will see create iso file for different PC. Save it to Desktop.

Click Desktop Shortcut and download iso file.

For some reason I was able to download Windows 10 before saving the iso file to desktop?

We do not have to wait for Dell or anyone else and besides why wait for weeks until you can download Windows 10.

November 5th, 2015 23:00

touchpad driver has been foundhttp://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03189486M/1/Input_Driver_H3H95_WN32_19.0.15.2_A00.EXE

this enables new ui and win10 app gestures, by the way quickset I believe controls the touchpad being disabled.. you need 11.0.24 of it to work and that also allows ya to have the buttons up at top.. now I'm just searching for the right audio driver

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2016 06:00

It's disgraceful that Dell are not supporting Windows 10  for this model. I've upgraded two XPS1702x laptops. One the webcam did not work and the other no internet connection via Ethernet cable or wireless and in the end had to install windows 8.1, on this laptop to get it working,.for which dell are supporting! DISGRACEFUL DELL.

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2016 07:00

Disgraceful lack of support!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 23rd, 2016 09:00

There was a "webcam issue" with Windows 10 RS1 when it was initially released. Microsoft have now patched it. 

No Events found!