Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2013 17:00

Video turned off on Inspiron 17R

I apparently have managed to turn off the monitor/screen. Since I can't see anything in Windows 7, I don't know how to reset in order to regain video.

Go ahead...

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 18th, 2013 21:00

Hi airwilly,

I would suggest that you start the computer to ‘Last Known Good Configuration’and check if the computer goes to the desktop in the operating system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to initiate ‘Last Known Good Configuration’.

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then start your computer by pressing the power button.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, start tapping the key.
  3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

Check if the computer starts up normally

Also,  Please let me know how were you able to turn off the screen.

21 Posts

November 19th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the help. I am back to where I started.

I got the problem by going to "Graphics Options" after right clicking on the desktop. I think I then clicked Monitor. The reason I did that is because I get a continuous popup message that the resolution is not set correctly for the clone video. I was trying to find out why. So the current selected Output is to "Clone Displays" and I suspect that it should not be. I don't use a second monitor at this time.

Should I select Built in Display?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 21st, 2013 05:00

Hi airwilly,

Yes you need to select Built in Displayon the system to make the picture appear only on the laptop.

21 Posts

November 21st, 2013 22:00

I did switch to 'built in' and it seemed to work just fine. In fact I think it may have even looked better to me. However, a day later, as I was working on the computer (Mozilla  Thunderbird to be exact), the screen went black and since then, I have not been able to see anything after the win 7 sys starts to boot. I have started from the last known  good config, without any success. I can tell from the sounds that windows may be starting, but no video.

How do you recommend I troubleshoot this?

Thanks

21 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 08:00

I should add that I can start win7 in safe mode, with the video being normal.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 28th, 2013 06:00

Hi airwilly,

Sorry for the delayed response. I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card in safe mode.

1. Start the system in Safe mode.
  2. Click on Start button.
  3. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  4. Select the graphics card device and right click on it
  5. Now select properties.
  6. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  7. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  8. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system to normal mode. Then reinstall the video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.
No Events found!