Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

May 18th, 2008 06:00

Vostro 1200 CPU overheating?

Hello,

I just bought Vostro 1200 and have installed FreeBSD 7.0. However, I find that the CPU fan is always on and blowing very hot air out of the vent. I am looking for a way to monitor the temperature, but I haven't yet completely figured how to do that.

I want to ask if anyone has installed any Linux/Unix on Vostro 1200 and whether this fan behaviour is normal? Also what is the situation with Windows Vista/XP? Any temperature statistics would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

21 Posts

May 18th, 2008 17:00

The CPU fan being on consistently is generally normal, at least on all of my Dell systems the fan should almost always be on and blowing semi-hot air out the back. In response to this, if it is too uncomfortable to use the laptop on your lap, then you should probably call Dell and inquire about it to see if they can fix it.

Otherwise, as long as it doesn't create any significant and noticable problems, you're just going to have to live with having it. Unless the laptop is old, in which case you may need to look for the service manual, open the laptop up, and clean out the vents with some compressed air.

May 27th, 2008 15:00

Hi All,

I have been using Vostro 1200 since 24th may,

Few issues i have noticed:

1. Battery lasts for abt 2 hours only ! (with Wi Fi On)

2. the Fan is ON contineously and HOT air blowing out !!

3. Cannot Pair Nokia Bluetooth A2DP Headset (have updated the latest BT Driver from broadcom)

4. Where is the option to view Video memory ? 

Configuration:

Vostro 1200, OS: Vista Premium, 3 GB RAM

Many Thanks,

Vostro User 

4 Posts

May 27th, 2008 16:00

Here are a few statistics I found since my last post:

On Ubuntu 8.04, the CPU temperature takes one of these three values:

45 degrees Celcius when relatively free. 51C during moderate use and 62C during heavy compilation.

(as reported by acpi) 

On FreeBSD 7.0

62C as reported by sysctl (But that was during heavy load)

I don't know if Vista has any applications that read sensors. You could check and post here. Then we'll know if its normal behaviour.

As for the Video memory, my manual says it's shared (256 MB) with the system memory. I'm not sure if it can be viewed separately. 

1 Message

June 19th, 2008 10:00

I have a Vostro 1200 N series. Meaning - No OS. I have installed WIN XP. Read on and off, depending on the CPU load the fan starts and stops. It's not constantly blowing out hot air. 

~ Jai

4 Posts

June 19th, 2008 16:00

Thanks for that. Can you give me some stats regarding the CPU temperature? Then I can be sure that I have a problem with my machine/OS.

Nishita

1 Message

November 22nd, 2010 20:00

TRUE I AGREE WHAT YOU GUYS SAID.

MY LAPTOP VOSTRO 1200 ALSO HAS THIS PROBLEM.....

when i use it, the hot air come out from the vent. and it is quite annoying. the things close by the vent will be very hot. just like you put something next to the fire place.

anyone can solve this hot air? i also try to clean the vent as well.

No Events found!