Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2009 03:00

Vostro 1510: BIOS A10: XP - No Sound with Realtek

Hello friends,

My DELL Vostro 1510 was already worked with XP. But as I've reinstalled my OS for some difficulties, now I can't able to install Sound driver.

Dell Support site provided the installation "R179413" for driver of Audio ALC268 which showing for bios version A00 and I tried but not working.

Would you please help me on this regard.

Thanks

Zaied

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 16th, 2009 06:00

Zaied,

These instructions are for a situation where an operating system has already been reinstalled and everything works except the audio driver will not install ... usually you get an error message, because the Notebook System Software and chipset drivers were not installed correctly and the audio chip on the motherboard is not recognized. In this situation "usually" a fresh install of the OS is not required, just re-installing the NSS and chipset correctly. If that doesn't work then a full re-installation may be necessary.

After you have performed an Operating System re-installation, install in this order:

a. Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (expand the Chipset category). Restart.

c. Install the audio driver (expand the Audio category).

Get these from the Vostro 1510 driver downloads page. When you get on the page use the dropdown box to select your Operating System.

3 Posts

July 17th, 2009 08:00

Dear Jim

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I've tried with the procedures as your instructions. But the matter is, still I can't hear any sound.

First I downloaded the NSS from Dell drivers page and installed but there was no sound.

Secondly I reinstalled Windows XP and followed as per your given sequence, but then after there was no sound.

Finally now I've install Windows Vista and I follow the sequence with drivers download from Dell driver page of Vista. But still I'm soundless.

I have some confusion about my Vostro 1510 BIOS version A10. Is it can be a matter?

Please help.

Thanks

Zaied

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 17th, 2009 11:00

Zaied,

I am sorry but I don't have any information about any of the BIOS versions. If there is a problem with that version I have not heard of it.

After you installed new operating systems and then the drivers, did you receive any error messages when trying to install the audio driver? If not, have you considered that your audio hardware may have stopped working? Have you tried listening through headphones instead of just the computer's speakers?

Try running the audio test in Dell Diagnostics. This interactive audio test is designed to narrow down the problem to either the software or hardware. The test is independent of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if those are working correctly or not. To run Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and as soon as it starts to boot up tap the f12 key.
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before the Dell Diagnostic starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not fully test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'custom', then the audio tests. At this point if you can't find the option to select the audio tests, that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.
5. The tests will run. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one signal path is working.
Dell Diagnostics will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it.
6. If you don't hear the music during the test it definitely means there is a hardware failure somewhere in the system. In this case Dell will repair the computer if it is still under warranty.
7.If you do hear the audio during the test but not when you boot back into Windows, that almost always means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the audio driver or with Windows.
8. Error codes: If you answer 'no' to any question that the test asks you, the test generates an error code that can tell a Dell technician that you answered 'no' to that question. The test does not know the exact component that has gone bad. Before answering 'no' to a question, make note of the circumstances at that point so you will know in general what the error code means.

3 Posts

July 18th, 2009 00:00

Jim,

Thanks for your guidelines. I've checked through with your second given instructions.

With the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD I found that there was no Audio Test.

I've also check the headphone, it also not working.

Under the System Speaker testing, I found the followings

Test Result - Fail

Error Code - 4C00:0619

Msg - SYSTEM - Speaker could not be heard

What should I do now? Please advice.

Thanks

Zaied

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 18th, 2009 06:00

Zaied,

After you re-installed Windows and  tried to install the audio driver, did you see any error messages?

When your computer was shipped from the factory there was a hidden partition on the hard drive with an image of the hard drive at that time. The purpose of the image is to allow you to return the computer to the state it was in when it left the factory if you ever should have unresolvable problems. I would use that image now, but if you have ever reformatted the entire hard drive the image is gone and there is no way to get it back.

**********************************************************************************************************

Dell's PC Restore (for XP) is an image of your original operating system, drivers, applications and configuration settings in a hidden partition on the hard drive. It's like a normal reformat in that you have to save all of your data to removable media, but it's quicker (is supposed to take about 10 minutes) and simpler because it includes all of the drivers so you won't have to re-install those. Whatever was working when you got the computer will work after PC Restore, except for any hardware problems.

To use PC Restore you restart and press Ctrl + F11 during the restart process and it should take you to the "PC Restore" menu. Anything that doesn't work afterwards either wasn't working when the computer was shipped or is the result of hardware malfunction. For that reason PC Restore can serve as an excellent diagnostic tool.

***********************************************************************************************************

In Systems with Vista Preinstalled:

Dell's Factory Image Restore is an image of your original operating system, drivers, applications and configuration settings in a hidden partition on the hard drive. It's like a normal reformat in that you have to save all of your data to removable media, but it's quicker (is supposed to take about 10 minutes) and simpler because it includes all of the drivers so you won't have to re-install those. Whatever was working when you got the computer will work after Factory Image Restore, except for any hardware problems.

1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer restarts, press F8 until the Advanced Boot Options
menu appears.
3. Press to select "Repair Your Computer" and then press .
4. Specify the language and then click Next.
5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
8. Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory
condition checkbox.
9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the
computer.

Anything that doesn't work afterwards either wasn't working when the computer was shipped or is the result of hardware malfunction. For that reason Factory Image Restore can serve as an excellent diagnostic tool.

1 Message

October 30th, 2009 17:00

hi

follow

1)Right click on my computer

2)click properties

3)Hardware

4)Device manager

5)System Devices

6)Right click on Microsoft UAA bus driver for high definition audio & disable it

7) remove UAA bus driver

8)retry to install audio driver (R179413 package)

9)Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :emotion-5:

No Events found!