Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2009 06:00

Vostro 1720 XP Professional SP3, ethernet intermittent problem

Conditions:

Equipment: Laptop Vostro 1720, Windows XP Professional SP3, 4 Gig RAM, 300 Gig HD.

The windows driver manager reports that the ethernet device is working normally.

The WIFI card works normally

The cables and the rest of the network are up and running and it has been tested with others pc´s and laptops.

All other devices and drivers work normally.

Operations:

After reporting this issue the laptop got a motherboard replacement from Dell, and I have updated to the BIOS 1.00PARTTBld

I have reinstalled the Dell ethernet driver, but the problem remains the same.

The problem :

1.- I can use the ethernet network just a couple of hours a day the rest of the time the ethernet network is down, normally this are the first hours of the working day.

2.- Sometimes the ethernet leds are off even if the ethernet cable is connected.

3.-Some times the ethernet leds are on and PINGing the ethernet interface local address replies but pinging the gateway ip address does not receive an answer, the network status reports that the ethernet card has sent several packets and received 0.

4.- Restarting sometimes work but most of the time it did not.

5.- When the error occurs If I turn off the laptop for 10 minutes and then turn it on the ethernet is working again. 

6.- When the error occurs, restarting on safe mode with network functions, does not fix the problem.

Solution:

Thansk a lot to WilkovF and jishcat 

After intalling downloading and installing the driver Realtek  RTL8168D/8111D version: 5.720 I have been working for three days without problems.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2009 18:00

You are not alone. We have 2 of 5 units experiencing this. Two others rarely move, so are rarely unplugged fron their network cable. One was sent back to Dell so they could see why the connector failed to hold the cable tightly. It had intermittent connection problems. Their full-unit replacement worked for ~3-weeks before its first connection loss. We tried everything (except a cool-down period) to get it to connect. It never had a loss of link or data lamps, but one-way connection was solid. We tried different cables, ports, even directly out of a switch, but no connection. A cool-down got it connected. Our second Vostro report of a disconnect in the field on a "several" hour connection that dropped and wouldn't reconnect. I suspected hardware problems, but it's hard to convince Dell when it eventually connects.

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 04:00

We have the same problems. Any solutions?

2 Posts

September 5th, 2009 06:00

Add another one to the list.  Can work for from 3 - 8 hours then nothing.  Rebooting into safe mode or regular rebooting doesn't generally seem to have an effect, although 1 time it did seem to.  Powering off for several minutes did solve the problem till the next time.

This is a brand new laptop with very little installed on it from the factory defaults, so I wouldn't expect this kind of problem from the get go.

It has manifested in a couple ways.  Sometimes, it still seems to think it is connected just fine, although no network access works.  Other times, the port lights go off.  Sometimes it has an error in the network icon in the systray about limited or no connectivity.  Another thing I noticed is that on occasion, it will popup a message from the icon in the systray saying "Now connected" even though it has been all along and it will claim to be at 1Gbps, event though I am not on a Gigabit network.  Then after less than a minute, it does it again, but back to 100Mbps.  After that, network connectivity seems to be dead.

We got some drivers from Dell.  Chipset & Network Adapter drivers.  Installed the chipset ones, but the network adapter one didn't work (no supported device), and the problem still exists.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2009 04:00

Last friday we installed the realtek 5736_0820 driver on a couple of laptops , so far no problems. Lets hope.

2 Posts

September 10th, 2009 05:00

I installed that driver as well on Saturday, Sept 5. Have not had the problem again yet. Before that I had experienced it about 5 times over a course of about 3-4 days of using my brand new vostro. I mean that I had the problems right away. No more issues with the network since the new driver, which I got from the realtek site itself. I even copied over 40 GB from my previous computer to this new one over the network without it dying like before. The only issue I'm still having that *may* be related to the network is that when I Remote Desktop into this machine it completely freezes and has to be power cycled. That's more likely the NVidia drivers, though.

September 16th, 2009 11:00

Hi,

I am afraid I am not having the same success as you. I also have a similar set-up to you, but I went through Dell to solve the problem and they installed one driver which didn't work and then pointed me to one on the Dell site and none have made any difference. Could you tell me the exact location of the driver you installed as when I looked on the Realtek site there seemed a lot of choices. Also when I get there, how easy is it to install...when I downloaded the Dell one it was straightforward, apart from fact that it didn't work.

M

3 Posts

September 17th, 2009 01:00

We have used the 5.736 driver from realtek

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

2 Posts

September 17th, 2009 03:00

Dell uses different ethernet cards models for the vostro 1720:

1.- With your service tag the Dell support service must be able to tell you what is you exact ethernet card model, then search for it on the realtek site.

2.- Check it using the control panel, hardware, device manager, network adapters, then you should see the list of your nertwork cards installed.

September 17th, 2009 15:00

Thanks for that and also to cvmontuy for your replies. I have downloaded and run the driver and so far there are no problems. I'll not hold my breath just yet, as the connection was intermittent before, so will wait till I have had a good 4-5 days with no problems.

Thanks again.

1 Message

November 28th, 2009 07:00

This is definitely a problem that Dell should address.  I hadn't used my brand new Vostro 1720 laptop running Windows XP Pro a full day when I had the same problem.  First I noticed that the network connection icon in the notification area fickered on and off a couple of times but stayed connected.  A couple of hours later I lost connectivity completely.  I tried disabling and re enabling the Local Area Connector but this didn't work.  Only after shutting down the computer and then turning back on the computer with the wireless antenna turned off did I get the local area connector to stay on.  I have been using it now a full day with the wireless turned off and I haven't had any further problems with the network plug.

1 Message

May 16th, 2011 13:00

I am having the same problem.

I tried the update by my computer uses a different NIC card (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) and it didn't work.  Also, when I try to update it from within windows it says that the card already is using the best driver.  I uninstalled it and let windows do the auto update to reinstall it and my wired internet is still not working.  My wireless internet does work, however.

Not sure if maybe getting a new NIC card would help?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

No Events found!