Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2015 08:00

Vostro 3550 Fingerprint Reader - Biometric Devices Applet Not In Control Panel - Windows 7

Because of a virus, I recently had to reinstall Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I have gotten everything else working except the fingerprint reader.

I have installed the Validity Fingerprint Reader driver from the Dell Support site. The fingerprint reader shows up in the Device Manager. However, the Biometric Devices applet doesn't appear in the Control Panel.

I tried letting Windows update detect the fingerprint reader. It installed a driver for a Synaptics device. This was enough to get the Biometric Devices applet to appear in the Control Panel. However, when I tried to configure the fingerprint reader, I got an error saying no fingerprint management software was installed. I have seen lots of posts online directing me to validityinc.com for drivers or the DigitalPersona software, but Validity Inc. seems to have gone out of business. The DigitalPersona software is available on the Dell Support site for my service tag.

I have even tried installing the Windows 8 Validity Sensor Driver for my laptop, but though it successfully installs, it produces the same results.

I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

January 15th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for the post! The fingerprint reader software that came with your system should be available from the My Dell Downloads content pages. You can register / log in here to download: https://smartsource.dell.com/Web/Welcome.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Web/Login.aspx . For any questions regarding this service, please see the My Dell Downloads FAQ

Alternately the links below are direct to DigitalPersona software.

DigitalPersona Fingerprint Software – Windows 32-Bit

http://downloads.dell.com/app/DIGITALPERSONA_FINGERPRINT-R_A15_X86_R260057.exe

DigitalPersona Fingerprint Software – Windows 64-Bit

http://downloads.dell.com/app/dp06_01_008_x64.exe

For help setting up DigitalPersona check out our DigitalPersona FAQ

Thanks,

April 9th, 2015 17:00

Hi I am having this same issue I was able to install DigitalPersona Personal successfully but when I go to click on which finger to enroll it keeps saying that the fingerprint reader is not connected I have been trying to resolve this issue for almost 5 hours now with no success device manager does show that the fingerprint reader is installed and has no issues I have no clue what to do to fix my issue. I would appreciate any help. Thanks again

3 Posts

July 29th, 2015 15:00

Hi!

I've also had problems with the fingerprint reader on my Vostro 3550. Is there a driver that you can guide me to that works with the new Windows 10?

Best regards

Jonny

Norway

7 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 11:00

Same problem with Vostro 3550

Software link provided does not install on x64 windows 7. Something about update has nothing to install it on. Just rebuild machine after hardsik failure and cannot get reader to work.

Authentic driver installs and shows in device manager but still does not do anything.

DELL HOW DIFFICULT CAN IT BE TO SUPPORT YOUR OWN PRODUCTS!

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 11:00

I think it is terrible and shows a lack of service at the highest level.

DELL DOESN'T EVEN BOTHER TO ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!

1 Message

November 4th, 2015 03:00

Hi, guys, I´m having the same problem too, windows 7, and the validity not responding, when i tried these links you posted, it doesn´t work too, i think is the same reason, windows 7 64bits....

Dell hasn´t did nothing about it yet?

how can we trust and keep buying or giving good testimonials to this great producer, if they don´t care about our problem?

i tried to install windows 10, it was worst, crashed blue window all the time and now, coming back to windows 7, nothing works fine!

sad, dell, answer us, please!!!!

December 8th, 2015 22:00

Since the people at Dell are a bunch of F4GG0T pieces of <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> and won't answer, the driver for Windows 7(64) Vostro 3550 is here: supportdell.net/.../dell-vostro-3550-driver

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2016 07:00

7 Posts

June 9th, 2016 08:00

Thanks foundit. Is this the driver for the hardware reader only?

I have just ran it and reader still does nothing, i think I must need the biometric software that does the actual reading of the fingerprints.

No Events found!