Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2012 07:00

Vostro 3550 won't shutdown

Hello,

i've got aproblem with my Vostro 3550 - Core i3.

Everytime i shut it down, windows shuts down correctly and the screen goes blank, BUT the power led still burns.

Also the power button is still lighted.

I can't switch it on using the power button. I've to unplug power or hold the power button for 4 sec.

Hardware test runs fine, no problems so far at all.

Nothing changed, only updates for windows

Can anyone give me a hint?

Kind regards

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 08:00

Hi it-area,

Welcome to the Community,

Try to release flea power.Disconnect the AC adapter,remove battery,press and hold down power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect the battery and AC adapter,turn on system normally.Once it completely boots into Windows,shut down system and check if the issue persists.

If issue persists download and update the BIOS for your system from the link below:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Note:While updating BIOS battery should have more than 50% charge and AC adapter should be connected to the system.

Let me know if this helps,

Thank You

8 Posts

June 25th, 2012 04:00

Hello Roshan,

thank you for your answer...

Unfortunately, nothing has helped. I've tried your first suggestion a few times. Bit it didn't work out. Alos the bios update did not help.

I have also tried Ubuntu Live DVD. It won't shutdown either, but the display doesn't go blank.

Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 26th, 2012 04:00

Hi  it-area,

Try using the system only with AC adapter (remove the battery). Check if the system shuts down completely when using it without the battery.Than  try to using the system only with the battery and confirm if there was any change.

P.S:Try the first step on my previous post again and this time hold down the power button for a about a minute.

Thank You

8 Posts

June 26th, 2012 07:00

Hello,

i've already tried that before. Nothing has helped yet...

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 26th, 2012 08:00

Boot your system to safe mode (F8 on start up). After system boots into safe mode,shut down the system through the windows shutdown option.See if the system shuts down completely.

8 Posts

June 27th, 2012 00:00

Hello,

this doesn't work either. It won't shut down.

I've noticed that if i restart the laptop, it takes a few minutes that it turns off. After a few seconds it boots again.

But this is not always the case. Most times it just hangs...

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 27th, 2012 03:00

Hardware test has passed  and only software change was the Windows update.Have you tried System Restore to restore system to an earlier date?

If the System Restore has not helped than,you may need to back up the data on the system and reinstall Windows.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 27th, 2012 04:00

Since you've confirmed the hardware diagnostics passed without error and only other change on the system was  windows update as you suggested on your first post.I am not 100% sure if this is a windows related problem but going by the trouble shooting steps we have already tried without any success and if its any thing to do with any software causing this issue,Windows reinstall should definitely help.

8 Posts

June 27th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

do you think this is a Windows related problem? Please note that i've also had problems shutting down Ubuntu 12.04 (Live system). However, i will give it a try

5 Posts

June 30th, 2012 10:00

I faced the same problem with my V3550. I gave it a try with fresh Windows 7 installation but that does not matter. I think that is the problem of bios but currently I have the newest version of it, I don't know how to clear bios with my laptop as well. Pls give me your suggestion.

Tks,

H.A

8 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 01:00

So, i did a frsh installation on my vostro, but this didn't help either...

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 03:00

Hi it-area,hoaian83,

Since Hardware test does not suggest any hardware failure and you both have reinstalled Windows which should eliminate the software problem (if any). So not sure what is stopping the system from shutting down normally.

Here is a link to a Third party application Ultimate Windows Tweaker : www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista

This should give information on the application which is not letting the system shutdown and force those application to shut down.

Note:This is 3rd party application and not validated by Dell.Use this application on your own discretion.

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 04:00

Hi Roshan,

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried this app but the problem is still there... headache... At this time, I just can restart my laptop and nothing else...

Any solutions?

Kind regards,

Hoai An

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 08:00

it-area and hoaian83,

In a blank area of the desktop, right click, then left click, new shortcut.

Copy and paste this on the next page...

%windir%\System32\Shutdown.exe -s -t 01

Spaces need to be where they are.

Click next, change the name to Shutdown.

You now have a desktop shortcut to shutdown windows. Close any applications that usually ask to shutdown, like Outlook and Office.

Just double click on the shortcut.

Did the computer shutdown?

Rick

2 Posts

July 10th, 2012 08:00

We have the same problem! Nothing from above helped.

No Events found!