Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2016 09:00

Vostro 3750 - no ram 2 beeps, with ram 1 beep

Hi Guys,

I have a clients Vostro 3750. 

If I leave the ram in it and turn on - the buttons over top right opposite power button light up in sequence, I get 1 beep then the system dies.

However if I take out the Ram and turn on -  the buttons over top right opposite power button light up in sequence, I get 2 beeps ( No RAM?? )  .. BUT the system stays on, nothing on the screen however.

I have heard that 1 beep might indicate motherboard borked BUT with no Ram the machine does stay on. I would have thought if the board was dead the system wouldnt stay on.

Any thoughts??

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2016 15:00

One beep is a BIOS ROM problem -- the mainboard is faulty.  Chances are without RAM the test isn't getting that far -- hence the different beep codes.

21 Posts

August 19th, 2016 15:00

It seems 1 beep is a drive problem or Video card issue. 

Anyone with further info or a fix .. much appreciated

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 20th, 2016 05:00

One beep is the board - not the CPU.

I'd question whether it's worth replacing a board on a system this old -- that decision is up to you though.

21 Posts

August 20th, 2016 05:00

Thanks EJN63

Yes, after further exploration it does look like the motherboard is fubared. 

I assume the 1 beep as motherboard dead warning is pretty much written in stone??  That it is not the processor instead?

I ask this because I want to be sure before investing in a replacement board. Any way of knowing the processor is OK I wonder?

No Events found!