Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 6th, 2010 13:00

Wacky Keyboard issue!! Anybody shed some light??

Ok, well I have a real brain buster on my hands with this laptop issue. 

The rundown:  I have a Dell Latitude D820 computer that I recently reimaged with my company image for that model computer.  I went to enter in the product key at the Windows activation screen, however I was having some issues.  The A, E, I, O, U, 1, 0 keys were NOT working.  I tried plugging in a USB keyboard, and I got the same thing.  All of the keys worked fine except those keys.  I need many of these keys to activate windows, otherwise it wont allow me to do anything.

I thought that maybe the image might have not installed correctly, so i went to reinstall the image on the computer.  When using our Ghost software, we plug in an USB stick, boot from the disk, and it takes us to Norton Ghost.  But before doing that, it brings us to a DOS prompt.  I was able to use every one of those keys just fine at the dos prompt without any issues.

I reimaged the computer, thinking it might help but was greeted with the same results.  After that, I took the drive out and placed it into another computer of the exact same model and hardware.  Same issue.  I was thinking that this was a BIOS setting on the laptop itself, but putting the drive in another computer has pretty much ruled that out.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  I am totally at a dead end with this.  I have been fussing with this laptop for almost 2 weeks now just trying to figure something out.  It is unfortunately out of warranty.

No Responses!
No Events found!