Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2013 12:00

Wake on Lan in Dell Inspiron 7720

Hi,

Does Wake On Lan work in Dell Inspiron 7720 (didn't find this option in bios), or is there any other way to turn laptop on with its lid closed?

Regards,

pw

1.5K Posts

January 11th, 2013 13:00

Hi Witosso,

I would like to inform you that it won't wake up on LAN if system is put into hibernate or shutdown as Network card is not getting power at those modes.

So it would only work under sleep mode where network card is still getting some power.

I hope I was able to answer your query today.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

1.5K Posts

January 7th, 2013 13:00

Hi pw,

Welcome to the community.

I would like to inform you that wake up on lan option is enabled by default on your system. If you wish to boot the system using network please follow the steps below:

Keep tapping F2 key on the keyboard while starting the system at Dell logo.

It will take us to a different screen called BIOS.

Select Boot in the menu. And press + to make Network as the first boot device.

Press F10 to save and exit.

Please perform these steps and let us know the results of the same.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 8th, 2013 01:00

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for quick support. Haven't you mistaken network-boot with wake-on-lan? How should I turn the laptop remotely on after setting this option in bios?

1.5K Posts

January 8th, 2013 14:00

Hi pw,

I would like to inform you that using the network boot you can boot the system to install operating system using network.

To enable wake up on lan on the system please try the steps below:

Open device manager>network adapter.

Right click on Realtek PCIe FE family controller and select properties.

Under Advanced properties tab make sure all these options are enabled:

Shutdown Wake-On-Lan

Wake on Magic Packet

Wake on pattern match

Under Power management tab on the same page make sure all of the options below are checked:

Allow this device to wake computer

Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

I have also attached the pictures for your reference. Please perform the same and let us know.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 9th, 2013 00:00

Ok, thanks, I tried it yesterday (I had the advanced settings on, not sure about power managment settings), but the laptop failed to start .Could you please write what parameters should be used to wake the laptop? I pasted MAC address, and I don't know what IP should I use since I get it from DHCP from my router. I use the one I got after booting windows. What protocol and port should I use? UDP \ 9 ?

1.5K Posts

January 9th, 2013 13:00

Hi Witosso,

You might need to create a static IP address first in order to setup Wake on LAN.

Our scope of support on same would be limited. However, I have researched on this issue for you and found a tutorial which would be helpful for you in setting up Wake on LAN:

http://bit.ly/57qc7X

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 9th, 2013 14:00

Hi Sandeep,

Once again - thanks for help - I've tested your settings - the computer is waked up, when I put it to sleep (in this case Wake on Lan works). But when I turn it off or hibernate it, it doesn't - so motherboard probably doesn't support Wake On Lan, am I right?

1.5K Posts

January 10th, 2013 13:00

Hi Witosso,

Wake on LAN would only work if the network card is getting power while it has been put to hibernate or shutdown. It might not be supported by your network card.

However, I have find out one of the article relating to this:

"This depends somewhat on your internal settings and the way your machine is designed to work. It doesn't "wake" because your NIC doesn't accept packets in standby or hibernation mode. (Of course, you must have a suitable NIC with the WOL feature.)

You can check by looking at the LEDs on your NIC when the computer is turned off and when it is in "sleep" mode. If they are lit, the computer should wake when the remote packet is received. When the computer is hibernating if the LED isn't on it will not wake.

You can explore the settings in the "power" section of a Windows computer Control Panel, but this may not be adjustable."

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 10th, 2013 23:00

Hi Sandeep,

yes I was aware of that. The Inspiron 7720 17R SE doesn't have any NIC LEDs, so I'm not able to check whether the LAN interface is on. Does Inspiron 7720 motherboard support wake on lan?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 11th, 2013 14:00

Hi Sandeep,

You're not right, there are some PCs where WoL can power up the computer - but motherboard and Network card must support it. In that case the Network Card is not fully powered off but listens for the Magic Packet. Dell Inspiron 7720 17R seems not support it indeed. Thanks for help

1.5K Posts

January 11th, 2013 15:00

Hi Witosso,

I believe there was some confusion as I meant that this system would not wake up on LAN as network card doesn't support the same.

If the network card and motherboard of system supports then it can definitely wake up from hibernate and shutdown as well. However, network card of this system doesn't support the same.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

September 16th, 2017 15:00

Hi,

Did you find the answer? I have the same problem with another Dell model.

Thanks

No Events found!