Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

5 Posts

June 4th, 2002 14:00

Wanted: DOS PCMCIA drivers

I'm running an Inspiron 7500 (ST: Y82R0, BIOS A08) and using the SCSI Card that came with my external Panasonic KXL-RW10A CD-R/RW drive to connect under DOS. I need to make Norton Ghost images of my notebook HDD. Thus, I need PCMCIA enabling software for DOS mode. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Carnegie Johnson
CarnegieJ@iayfconsulting.com

28 Posts

June 4th, 2002 14:00

Who makes the SCSI card? Is it a CardBus card?

-tom

Inspiron 7500 & 8200.
for Inspiron 8200 FAQ, goto:
http://www.geocities.com/thebithead/I8200FAQ.htm

28 Posts

June 4th, 2002 17:00

Carnegie wrote:
--
- The SCSI card is made Panasonic (Kyushu Matsushita
- Electric Co.). However, I suspect it is an OEM of
- some other mfg. The card has a dip switch for 16-bit
- or CardBus mode. I can run under Win2K using either
- mode.

I don't think it will work in CardBus mode from DOS. Set it to 16-not mode.

-
- Can you confirm that the PCMCIA controller on the
- I7.5K is the TI PCI-1225 CardBus Controller?

No, I don't own my i7500 any longer. I sold it.

- Under
- Win2K Device Manager it says its the TI PCI-1225. I
- have a DOS driver from Panasonic that will direct
- control Intel 82365 or 100% compatible controller.
- However, I can't get the driver to load because it
- won't find/recognize the contoller. It may be I need
- to know the exact I/O address of the PCMCIA
- controller to specify on the command line of the
- driver.

Perhaps.

I don't know if you need any special PCMCIA drivers to use it from DOS.

I think Norton Ghost 2002 comes with some standard DOS mode drivers. Perhap you can get it work with them?

-tom

Inspiron 7500 & 8200.
for Inspiron 8200 FAQ, goto:
http://www.geocities.com/thebithead/I8200FAQ.htm

5 Posts

June 4th, 2002 17:00

thebithead wrote:
- Who makes the SCSI card? Is it a CardBus card?
-
--tom

The SCSI card is made Panasonic (Kyushu Matsushita Electric Co.). However, I suspect it is an OEM of some other mfg. The card has a dip switch for 16-bit or CardBus mode. I can run under Win2K using either mode.

Can you confirm that the PCMCIA controller on the I7.5K is the TI PCI-1225 CardBus Controller? Under Win2K Device Manager it says its the TI PCI-1225. I have a DOS driver from Panasonic that will direct control Intel 82365 or 100% compatible controller. However, I can't get the driver to load because it won't find/recognize the contoller. It may be I need to know the exact I/O address of the PCMCIA controller to specify on the command line of the driver.

Regards,
Carnegie

120 Posts

June 5th, 2002 14:00

Ghost only supports PCMCIA NICs...

From the Symantec site:

Ghost does not support PCMCIA hard drives, PCMCIA SCSI devices, or PCMCIA CD-ROM drives. These devices are also not supported in DOS.

Although these devices might work in DOS or with Ghost, Ghost has not been written for compatibility with these devices. If Ghost does work with one of these devices, there is no assurance that it will work consistently; that is, it will one time and not work another time.

Here is a list of issues you might encounter when trying to use PCMCIA devices with Ghost:
Some PCMCIA hard drives do not use the BIOS to control access to the drive. This may cause Ghost to misinterpret the drive parameters when trying to clone the drive, resulting in erratic behavior from Ghost.
Some PCMCIA SCSI adapters use nonstandard commands and can sometimes not provide the information that Ghost expects. Nonstandard commands could cause Ghost to restart, exit to DOS, or display error messages that cannot be resolved.
Some PCMCIA CD-ROMs produce errors indicating that the image is corrupt when it is not. A workaround is not currently available.

-
-
-

5 Posts

June 5th, 2002 16:00

Austin_Bike wrote:
- Ghost only supports PCMCIA NICs...
-
- From the Symantec site:
-
- Ghost does not support PCMCIA hard drives, PCMCIA
- SCSI devices, or PCMCIA CD-ROM drives. These devices
- are also not supported in DOS.

Thanks Johns. Do you know of a similar product (i.e. Drive Image) that will support PCMCIA SCSI devices?

Regards,
Carnegie

1 Message

June 7th, 2004 15:00

I am running Win98SE on an Inspiron 5000, with an external H45 HD enclosure connected by the PCMCIA. Ghost 2002 works fine for me, but 2003 won't recognize the drive at all.
Also, when I try to repartition the drive, Acronis's software sees it, but Partition Magic doesn't (a shame since i can't merge partitions with Acronis). Any ideas on getting PM to work?
No Events found!