Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2016 02:00

Web Cam not working after windows 10 updates were installed

My web cam on Dell XPS L501X stopped working after installing windows 10 updates.Tried all the steps can any one help with this one please.

When tried to access web cam via Skype it says "can't start video try closing programs that might be using your webcam@

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 4th, 2016 13:00

sheshank45,

Did you recently install/reinstall/upgrade the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software (if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this YouTube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central Version 1.40.05 .

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign. Go to each USB Root Hub. Right click on it, left click uninstall.

Restart your computer. When you login, the new hardware wizard will reinstall everything. Please be patient, it could take up to 2 minutes.

Try the webcam and see if it works.

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

4 Posts

January 6th, 2016 06:00

I tried all the steps but no use :(

4 Posts

January 6th, 2016 06:00

people are saying that this XPS L501x won't support webcam video on Windows 10 is that true??

1 Message

April 27th, 2016 04:00

I have an XPS L501X upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and the webcam works most of the time - but it has died on me twice now. Skype says I can't make a video call because I don't have a webcam, and the Device Manager shows no webcam at all, not even a non-working or hidden one.

The first time this happened I removed the screen bezel, unplugged and replaced the webcam connector (don't try this at home!) and this fixed it.

The second time I tried a less drastic method that I found on a forum somewhere - shut down the laptop, remove the battery, wait a few minutes, replace the battery and restart. This also worked. I recommend this method over the dismantling method (which I guess only worked because it involved removing the battery).

Of course it would be nice if Dell fixed the driver so that the webcam didn't die in the first place, but I guess that's not going to happen as this model doesn't officially support Win10.

No Events found!