Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

2 Posts

December 17th, 2004 17:00

What are WXGA,WSXGA, AND WUXGA benefits and problem solving?

One of the things that I am considering is a higher resolution screen.  Basically, what I am trying to find out is some benefits to having a higher resolution screen from WXGA,WSXGA, AND WUXGA. This is what I think that I understand. By going to a higher resolution the text becomes smaller so it maybe harder to read but you can fit more on a screen and it is with better quality.  I would appreciate any help and education on what I have written and the questions that I have.

1. The first question is in reference to games, movies and pictures. By going to a higher resolution does it create a smoother better picture which is not as grainy as a lower resolution or is it just the same. I am not sure what the resolution is on movies but let me try and give an example. If you are playing a game at 800X600 and your display is 1440X900 or 1920X1200 would it look the same because both resolutions are higher then the games resolution. Or because there are more pixels on the latter it would look better. The same question for movies and pictures, I am not sure what the resolution is for a movie.

2. The second question given what I had said above is there any other benefits and also problem solving issues of having a higher resolution. Are there a lot of games and digital things that would require or be preferable to have a higher resolution. And with having a higher resolution and the text being smaller and maybe harder to read. Can this be fixed by lowering your resolution on the screen or making the fonts larger?

5 Posts

December 17th, 2004 20:00

First off, which laptop would you be interested in? There are some issues with the 9200 UXGA screen. Some people hate--while others are very happy with it. So that might be one laptop you'd want to stay away from.

If you have a game set to run at 800x600, that what it will run at. Should look no different.

Most movies should look no better as they are not that hi-res to begin with-although Hi-Def DVD's are starting to pop up and you'd want the 1900x1200 to take full advantage of them. But that's really more if you into watching hi-def DVD's.

Lots of new games will run at insanely high resolutions nowadays. Will the graphics card on your laptop be able to keep up though. They have come a long way.

Big problem is this, LCD's have a native resolution, which as an example on a 9200 with a UXGA screen is 1900x1200. If you try to deviate from that it will never look quite as good, no matter what tricks that you may try (a lot will say the 9200 doesn't look that good to begin with). So its not really something that you can put it up to 1900x1200 for gaming or to watch a movie and then down to 1024x768 for using Word or the web.

You can make the fonts larger, but anything over the normal setting will look distorted on XP. This is something that Microsoft plans to fix in its next OS as hi-res screen are becoming the norm.

Anything I wasn't completely clear on or just wrong about, hopefully others can set the record straight.

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2004 03:00

What screen resolution is best for you can really only be answered by you.  Can your eyes handle the (W)UXGA?  I know mine can't.  But if you are working with graphics, it might very well work out good for you.  The WSXGA+ is perfect for me.  I can get a lot of graphic works on the screen at one time.  When doing calculations and analysis, I can get two windows side by side so that I can easily compare stuff.

My suggestion to you is to go to a store and try out the different resolutions to see which one you like.  It's hard for someone to tell you what is best for you.  Oh you will get many varying opinions as to which is best, but ultimately it is what is best for you.

7 Posts

December 18th, 2004 23:00

If you ever have had problems with small text a WUXGA is not for you... 1920x1200 as a natural resolution is rather extreme. For example, I can have two copies of Word up with 3 tool bars, set at 100% text size, each displaying an entire 8.5x11 page, top to bottom, side by side and still have some extra room on the right for my IM program.

I like it, if I am tired, or my eyes or sore, I just use zoom or increase the text size of the application I am using. I usually don't need the buttons and menu options of my programs expanded. The ability to display two pages next to eachother (right click bottom toolbar and pick Tile Windows Vertically) is extremely useful to me as I can compare documents quickly without scrolling.

366 Posts

December 20th, 2004 11:00

When shopping for a new laptop I think it is best to concentrate on LCD's that you most comfortable with at their native resolution.  Using any other resolution will result in either a drop in quaility (due to pixel interpolation) or wasted screen real estate (due to pixels being deactivated causing a black boarder around the viewable area).  It depends how you have your graphics options set as to which situation you will encounter. 

I also think it makes sense to try to stick to 96 DPI.  Unfortunately Windows XP does not fully support any other DPI setting.  Going beyond this is allowed but you will notice some web pages and applications that do not scale properly - and thus the screens look corrupted.  I believe the WUXGA and WSXGA screens come set to 120 DPI which certainly makes the screens more readable (fonts larger) but at the cost of some web pages and applications formatting screens incorrectly.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q820286

Most of the time the inproper scaling is not too distracting, but it can be annyoing.  I seem to notice it more and more now that I have researched the issue.

No Events found!