Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

November 18th, 2007 16:00

White Vertical Line down middle of INSPIRON 1520 display screen

I have a white vertical line down the middle of my Inspiron 1520 notebook's display screen/monitor and have no idea as to how to get rid of it. Does anyone know what causes this or what I can do to get rid of it? I've only had my notebook for less than a month now and from what alot of people have told me and what I've read on here, Dell is not exactly helpful. Please help!! Thanks!

( High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch display (1680 x 1050) )

Message Edited by puritycontrol on 11-18-2007 12:21 PM

Message Edited by puritycontrol on 11-18-2007 12:25 PM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 18th, 2007 17:00

Check to see if the line shows up on an external monitor; it probably will not. In that case, call Dell and have the screen replaced under warranty - or, if the system is less than 30 days from shipment, you can request they replace the entire unit with a new one.

21 Posts

November 19th, 2007 08:00

ejn63, am i correct in thinking that if the line appears on an external monitor the video card has gone bad? and if the external monitor is ok, then the lcd is the one that has failed? I would also suggest running the Pre-boot System Assessment LCD test, and see if the white line is still there when the color bars are displayed. Thank you.

1 Message

December 5th, 2007 13:00

The white line on my Latitude c640 progressed into a dark screen. I will check to see if this is the backlight issue. Sounds like I will turn this into a PC... Nice to know that notebook LCD's are not meant to last more than 20K hours. And by the way, with fluorescent lamps, 20k hour life means that HALF of the tubes are burnt out by then.
No Events found!