Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2015 10:00

Windows 10 UEFI install on samsung PM951 NVMe ssd failing.

Im attempting a clean install of Windows 10 on a XPS15 with the 256gb PM951 NVMe SSD.  Whenever the bios is in the UEFI mode, the windows installed does not see the SSD drive.  I can install windows in legacy mode with the GP partition style but not in UEFI mode.  Im using a bootable usb drive which is UEFI.  I think having the driver for the SSD might help but i cannot find it anywhere.  Any help would be appreciated.  

33 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 07:00

Sounds kind of like you have BIOS set for RAID but didn't pre-load the RAID drivers.  Either need to pre-load the drivers or switch to ACHI.

1 Message

November 30th, 2015 12:00

I am having the exact same issue, just on a XPS 13. 

6 Posts

December 1st, 2015 19:00

Any help dell support?  Just need a driver or a wibdows system image with one.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2015 04:00

The drive doesn't need a driver - it's the drive controller that does.  Exactly which XPS 15 model (9550, 9530, etc.) do you have?

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 09:00

Sounds kind of like you have BIOS set for RAID but didn't pre-load the RAID drivers.  Either need to pre-load the drivers or switch to ACHI.

My Bios is set to RAID, which I thought was correct since it's a NVMe drive but I could be wrong.  You're correct in that I do not have any drivers preloaded except what comes with the Windows system image. Could you point me to where I can obtain these?  Thanks for the help.

6 Posts

The drive doesn't need a driver - it's the drive controller that does.  Exactly which XPS 15 model (9550, 9530, etc.) do you have?

it's the 9550.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You'd be better off with the controller in AHCI mode -- but both drivers are part of the Intel RST driver package:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

31 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 13:00

I had the same problem with my xps 13 9350. Computer couldn't find the SSD to install windows on when i had it on RAID -setting. You have to download the drivers for your SSD from dells website, but instead of clicking install you click extract - put them on your usb and you need to browse for the file and install the driver.

This worked for me!

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 21:00

You'd be better off with the controller in AHCI mode -- but both drivers are part of the Intel RST driver package:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

First, thanks for the info/link. From my understanding to take advantage of a nvme drive you have to use the raid control.  Is that not correct?

December 3rd, 2015 16:00

No you do not need to use RST drivers in ACHI mode, windows has a native NVMe controller driver which only gets used if you select ACHI in bios.

If you are in RAID mode you must use RST drivers to install windows.

I edited this post, you don't need RST drivers in ACHI mode, you do in RAID mode. 

2 Posts

April 1st, 2016 08:00

I switched to AHCI mode, installed windows, then go to device manager (Right click on start - device manager), and you see Microsoft NVMe Controller down under Storage controllers, install nvme driver from samsung website and it should change to Samsung NVMe controller. May be a bit better than build-in drivers..

You can use drivers for 950 pro, it's almost the same, difference is that 950 pro is a retail unit and 951 is OEM unit, with just a slight difference in speed.

June 27th, 2017 13:00

Because I like to be thorough: confirmed that switching to AHCI in BIOS made the NVMe drive visible to OS installer (thank you d3msd8le!); but, maybe I want a pair of spinner disks in a RAID 1 (one day), so I switched back to RAID, then to downloadcenter dot intel dot com and searched for "RST" and got f6floppy-x64.zip, and bam: the drive appeared and have the OS installed now, and one day I may also have a pair of spinner drives mirrored for stable performance (i.e. you can have your cake and eat it too in this situation; e.g. Precision 3620); verbosely confirming d3msd8le's answer!

No Events found!