Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 16th, 2016 05:00

Windows 10 install?

I want to do a clean install of windows on inspiron 7000 series using usb - I cant get the laptop to boot from usb without giving errors. I will be installing to a m.2 ssd and using the existing drive for data only

I get error in non paged memory fault if I use legacy boot from usb, if I use uefi boot I cant select the usb to boot from?

Got it to show up now in the boot menu but still getting page error faults, does it a couple of times then enters into system diagnostics and finds no faults

75 Posts

April 17th, 2016 08:00

over 70 views, no replies?

I have reset the laptop to factory settings, tried to install again to the new ssd but I keep getting page fault errors. I have tried removing a memory module, swapping memory module, memory diagnostics show nothing. I have scanned and filled and reformatted the new ssd with no errors on memory or ssd why the *** wont it let me install windows to my new drive?

I posted similar post in the OS forum but I think it must be a bios setting

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 17th, 2016 09:00

What USB device? DVD or Flash Drive? Are you sure the device is actually bootable?

75 Posts

April 17th, 2016 09:00

usb 3.0 flash drives, one with dell recovery image on it - made on the same laptop, one with windows image on it. both are bootable and work on my xps laptop. All I'm trying to do is install windows cleanly on the ssd. tried uefi modes and legacy modes and always ends up with page fault errors

I am now in the process of cloning the os across - not ideal because if I ever need to reinstall I'll be goosed and have to go through all this again.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2016 19:00

If you use UEFI, you can use the free program ISO2Disc to create a GPT/UEFI bootable USB drive from a Windows 10 ISO file. UEFI mode doesn't support booting from MBR style USB drive.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 17th, 2016 20:00

This error is not uncommon. Search the web for the problem. Lots of posts and solutions.

75 Posts

April 18th, 2016 00:00

And non on Dells support forum - isn't it just great!

75 Posts

April 18th, 2016 14:00

Thanks for that, missed your reply, got notification for the one after yours - yours came through much later.

I'll give it a try, but even media created on the laptop wouldn't work in uefi or legacy mode

No Events found!