Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2013 08:00

Windows 8 Dell inspiron 7520 installation problem

I've replaced terribly slow 1 TB HDD with a 256GB SSD. Unfortunately no installation CD provided by local Dell Dealer. I bought a brand new Windows 8 Professional version license and media. But the setup says "The product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key". It is extremely annoying that i have to bought a new $140 License and even then i am not able to work. Please advice.

Regards,

Umair

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 11th, 2013 09:00

Your first problem is the fact that the original key is embedded on the motherboard. You should have requested the installation disks from Dell, not purchase new ones. Your second problem is that the disk you purchased is an upgrade disk. You cannot use it. All retail disks and downloads for windows 8 are upgrades and require win 7 or earlier on the hard drive. Return the misrepresented win 8 pro to the store. Request the installation media from Dell here--there might be a small fee: 

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1&DoNotRedirect=y 

The only full version of win 8 is the OEM System Builder version available only online from a few vendors like Amazon.You don't want that version either since it is not supported by Microsoft and Dell.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi Umair,

If the system is not accepting the product key which was provided with the retail version of the Operating system, I request you to contact Microsoft for assistance.

13 Posts

This is an OEM version. It should be installed on my system.

Regards,

Umair

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 11th, 2013 10:00

The activation key will not match the key that is embedded in the motherboard. And if it doesn't say System Builder on the box, it is not the OEM version, no matter what the store clerk said. The system builder version is for empty disks and looks like this-- http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-System-Builder-64-Bit/dp/B0094NXBZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378915232&sr=8-2&keywords=win+8+oem 

Order the Dell disk and save a lot of headaches. If you are not in the US you have contact Support in your country.

Update--There will be a full version of Win 8.1 available when that version is released. 

1 Message

October 29th, 2013 04:00

I have dell inspiron 7520 pre installed win 8 Single Language now i wantto install win8 professional but system didnt permission to install win 8 professional , please suggest how can i install  

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 1st, 2013 03:00

Hi syed farrukh,

If the system is shipped with Windows 8 operating system, Dell will be unable to provide free upgrade to Windows 8 professional. In case you want the same, you will have to purchase the retail version and do a manual install.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 1st, 2013 05:00

This is an OEM version. It should be installed on my system.

Regards,

Umair

Likely you can install using a generic key.

Then you can change the product key in system properties to your actual product key and activate.

No Events found!