Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2009 11:00

Windows failed to load because of kernel missing or corrupted

Hi

I have an INSPIRON 640m which has stopped working (without any previous signs of things going wrong). The message on start-up is

Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt

\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe

The diagnostic tools don't find any hardware faults, but I haven't had any success in getting the recovery disks to boot. It was originally an XP machine, but I upgraded to Vista with the disks from Dell as soon as Vista was released.

Can anyone offer any clues as to what the fault is and where to go from here?

Thanks

Rob.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 25th, 2009 11:00

If you haven't yet done so, run the extended - NOT just the quick- test on the hard drive.  F12 at powerup.

3 Posts

October 25th, 2009 16:00

OK, thanks for that, have just run the tests. Unfortunately though, still no errors being reported. I guess that means that it must be a software fault(?)

I tried to change the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive, but neither the original XP recovery disk nor the Dell upgrade to Vista disk seem to have been read since the system still gets stuck with the same error message as above...

7 Posts

October 26th, 2009 14:00

Robbo I have had a very similar message [that I mention in my help plea re my inspiron 2200] however I have found that a soft reboot via crl-alt-del

often allows my system to boot to OS after the kernel missing or corrupt message!

I believe that your problem may be a hdd recognition problem like mine.

Have a look in the cmos at POST [F2] and see if your HDD is listed under devices! Mine isn't but  I can still get a sucessful boot around 60% of the time

7 Posts

October 27th, 2009 04:00

since my last post  have sorted out my machine and just in case yours is at all related I copy my experience below.

There is no way that I would have ever attributed a no kernel message to a loose screw in the combo drive however that was the root of my problems!

Check the seating of all memory, hard drive, combo drive etc before blaming software would be my advise based on biter experience!

copy of post re Screwed up Inspiron ....

Problem solved!

I gave the beast an hour of quality time, took it apart, blew out the dust and reassembled the thing.

You guessed it everything working as the book!

I diagnosed the problems all to stem from a  slightly loose screw that locks the combo drive into the bay allowing the dvd drive to creep in the socket.

Hence the device in bay not recognised message and  failure to record drives in the cmos at POST although why this should effect hdd recognition remains a mystery.

I have since been able to emulate the faults by loosening the lock screw and applying slight pressure onto the drive.

Subsequent reseating and tightening the lock screw causes the problems to vanish.

The kernel missing message has of course never appeared since the hard drive is recognised by cmos

I wonder how many hard drives motherboards and complete units etc etc have been scrapped because of a similar loose locking screw?

cheers all

3 Posts

October 28th, 2009 15:00

Great to hear that you have solved things at your end. I shall get out my screw driver set and see what I can find. I'll let you know how I get on :emotion-1:

Thanks

Rob.

1 Message

February 15th, 2012 06:00

Thank you so much for your post!! I'm not very computer savvy, but I tried the screw tightening thing as a last effort to save having to buy a new laptop and it worked!  I am truly amazed and so thankful that you posted this solution!! 

No Events found!