Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2013 08:00

Windows won't start-black screen

Windows 7 won't launch on my 6 month old Dell Inspiron 15.

After a few seconds, a black screen comes up with the option to:

-allow Windows to diagnose the problem

-start windows normally

Whichever option I choose, it kicks me back to the same screen.

I've tried starting in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt only and it just brings me back to the same screen.

I think I'm going to have to contact tech support unless anyone has any bright ideas.

Thanks,

Gareth

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 08:00

Hi gmk77,

Please run the PSA hardware diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed, you can release flea power and run hardware diagnostics in the system. Follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess flea power and run the test. Restart the computer and at the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics.

If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.              

http://dell.to/i5zbDR                  

Please do reply for further assistance.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2013 03:00

OK so I tried that and there are no errors.

Still not working.

Thanks,

Gareth

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi gmk77,

No errors during diagnostics indicate no issues with the laptop hardware. This could be an issue with operating system; hence you can go ahead and perform PC restore (Factory settings). Use the link below for instructions. 

Note: Performing PC restore / Operating system re-installation will cause you to lose the data stored in the computer

http://dell.to/gB7c4b                      

In case PC restore option is not working you may have to use the operating system software disk and do a clean installation referring to the link below.

http://dell.to/ho6Eq2

In the above link select the fourth option and you can follow the steps to manually install the operating system.

Please do reply for further assistance. 

5 Posts

January 7th, 2013 15:00

I tried the pc restore option and that did not work either-it just takes me back to the screen.

I think I'm going to have to do a clean install, however, I don't have any of the software as it is  not sent out with the machines these days.

I tried to download these from the download centre but it tries to automatically detect the service code but I'm using a different computer so that's not going to work.

Is there any way I can download copies of the installation files onto another machine?

Thanks, Gareth

7 Posts

January 7th, 2013 16:00

I'm having a similar problem with my Insprion 15R.  When I boot I get passed the "Starting Windows" screen and then I stare at a blank black screen for a while.   It seems to be caused by a USB device.  When I disconnect the USB devices the boot resumes.  This also prevents my laptop from shutting down until I disconnect.  Is everything disconnected from your laptop?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 17th, 2013 11:00

Hi gmk77,

I am sorry for the delayed response, this could be an issue with the hard drive. Please let us know the system service tag in the private message so that I can help you further.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag, so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

No Events found!