Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 19th, 2013 13:00

XPS 12 9Q33 HDMI Audio Issues

I have the XPS 12 9Q33 and I'm trying to connect it to my HDTV through one of its HDMI ports. My system has a display port where I can connect a display port to HDMI adapter. I've tried two of these adapters and three different HDMI cables and in all cases all that transfers is video from my laptop. There isn't any audio at all. I'm not sure if there is a setting that I'm missing that will solve this issue.

FYI: I also have a second laptop that I can connect to my TV without any issues. So, there doesn't seem to be any issue with either my TV or cabling. Thanks

30 Posts

November 23rd, 2013 11:00

Finally figured this out. So, I'll post my resolution since there isn't a thing called Dell support and I've had no luck getting resolutions here on the forum.

Fix:

1. Buy anything other than a Dell. Have had my laptop for 45 days, several support tickets and other support requests and not one reply to anything. If you are looking for a company without support responsibility, then by all means get a Dell. If not, go else where.

2. I had sure all drivers were up to date. Not sure if this actually helped resolve the issue but I uninstalled both the display adapter and HD audio device. This allows Windows to search for the best and up to date driver.

3. Ensure you have a HDMI cable that will work for your device. Not all HDMI cables are created equal. I tried three different cables and two of the three worked for my laptop. If you get video transfer from laptop to TV, then the cable probably will wok.

4. Lastly, the annoying process. You may have to restart your system each and every time you want a proper connection between laptop and TV. For me, video almost always displayed but no sound. Just by chance, I restarted my laptop and heard sound coming from my TV. After restart, I could get both sound and video with no problems. However, if you disconnect your laptop or go back to a PC only screen, you will need to restart your system to get video and sound through HDMI. Not sure why but that's the only way I could get it to work.

1 Message

January 30th, 2014 18:00

I just want to second webbj8150's solution ... particulary #4 for me. I bought the standard monoprice mini displayport to HDMI adapter and was worried when I plugged it into my TV and got video but no sound. Keeping the cable plugged in, I rebooted my machine and my TV (samsung) showed up listed under my audio settings. Right click the speaker in the bottom right on the taskbar to get there. And as webbj8150 says, once I unplug it, I need to reboot the machine with the cable plugged in to see it. This is tested across 2 reboots

615 Posts

January 30th, 2014 20:00

Hi,

I just want to point out there is whole section on Laptop HDMI audio in this FAQ.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19510764.aspx

9 Posts

August 21st, 2014 08:00

I have the XPS12 9Q33. I purchased an Accell B086B-008B-2 and Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable from Amazon. Both audio and video are passed when I connect the hdmi cable to my tv or into my stereo receiver.

The StarTech MDP2HDS active adapter did not work.

30 Posts

August 21st, 2014 10:00

I resolved my issue with the sound. I just have to make sure that my system is connected to my TV before changing TV setting. That way my XPS is picking up the TV changes instead of vise versa. Annoying but it works.

No Events found!