Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2016 03:00

XPS 13 9343 - Frequent boot issues

Let me start by first saying that I have checked numerous avenues to resolve my issue: latest driver updates, latest Windows updates (Windows 10), latest BIOS update, and diagnostics utilities. Nothing seems to make a difference, and the Dell diagnostics detects no problems.

With that out of the way, onto the issue...

A user at my company has an XPS 13 9343 (as per the title obviously). Sometimes (admittedly not all of the time but enough for it to be a nuisance) the laptop does not boot from cold or restart correctly. Instead, we're greeted by a small message in the upper left corner that says "No bootable devices found", with various options to remediate: F1 to retry, F2 to enter setup, and F5 to run diagnostics. As mentioned in my opening, running the diagnostics seems to complete without any concerns.

Reading about, including on these here forums, it seems this particular model of XPS has a history of SSD-related problems, particularly with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and the solution was always to have the drive replaced. The Hynix 512GB is a notable theme, which is the drive installed in our XPS 13. Some kind of compatibility issue perhaps. Either way, it's annoying and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it. The firmware for the drive is also up-to-date after running the Hynix firmware utility.

I'm at a loss quite frankly. The only troubleshooting steps I haven't explored are 1) opening the laptop up and checking the connection, and 2) replacing the SSD. Both things I'm hesitant to try while the laptop is still within warranty, which brings me onto my next point...

...I would ideally like the laptop shipped off to be looked at by Dell Technical Support, as I have seen a couple of threads where users have reported success after the fact.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Matt

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 13th, 2016 10:00

I'd suggest you check hard drive is listed in the BIOS.

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in BIOS

In the main screen, stroll down and look for "Fixed HDD". If the hard drive isn't listed in BIOS then I suggest you reset BIOS defaults. Press F9 to load defaults, F10 to save and exit.[If you're comfortable of opening the computer then I suggest reseating hard drive as well] Hopefully there isn't a hard drive error.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" Both things I'm hesitant to try while the laptop is still within warranty, which brings me onto my next point.I would ideally like the laptop shipped off to be looked at by Dell Technical Support "

:emotion-2:

I'd strongly suggest you use the warranty on that expensive computer. Please contact Dell Technical in link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Contact-Information?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

You can also check your warranty status in link below:

www.dell.com/.../

No Events found!