Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2016 19:00

XPS 13-9350

Following the instructions on how to install and dual boot Ubuntu 16-04 with the existing Win 10 I changed the EUFI from RAID to ACHI. However, upon booting, access to the SSD was lost and with it, apparently, access to the EUFI. Hence, when turning the laptop on, the backlight for the keyboard comes on for awhile then goes dark followed soon after by the power. Nothing is displayed on the screen. So, it appears my laptop is bricked. Plugging in a Windows recovery USB drive doesn't appear to do anything and neither does plugging in a USB DVD drive with Ubuntu.

6 Posts

June 6th, 2016 19:00

I chatted with Tech Support and after unplugging the battery and holding the power button for thirty seconds, then plugging the battery back in and reinstalling the back plate and plugging the power cord back in, the final step is to press and hold both the Fn and power key at the same time. I don't know how long to press them but I released both after about five seconds and my laptop booted into the SupportAssist screen which gave me an option button to go into the BIOS setup. I pressed said button. Once in the BIOS setup I was told to press F9 to reset to defaults. Not sure that did anything or if that was even required but whatever. Exited out and booted fine into Windows. Done. Now if someone at Dell would publish instructions on how to install Ubuntu 16.04 that would be great.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2016 07:00

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Then try powering up again - you should then be able to get into setup to reset the system to UEFI mode (assuming you haven't damaged the UEFI boot partition).

6 Posts

June 6th, 2016 17:00

Thank you for your reply. However, disconnecting the main as well as the "coin-cell" batteries (it was unclear which you meant) didn't seem to help.

6 Posts

June 6th, 2016 17:00

One other thing I was unclear on: did you mean to say to power up the system without first plugging the battery (whichever you intended) or did you just leave out the part about reassembling everything first?

No Events found!