Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 16th, 2015 21:00

Hi All,

To eliminate the flickering issue, please download the Intel graphics driver version 10.18.15.4278 for Microsoft Windows 10 currently available on the Dell Support site in the link below.

http://dell.to/1iizmQ5

Note: But the latest update from Intel 10.18.15.4279 gets updated automatically will bring back the issue so you will need to block device driver updates on Windows 10. Please follow the steps below provided by gbdillon in previous post.

Step 1: Navigate to Control Panel within Settings.

Step 2: Click on System, in the Control Panel.

Step 3: After the System Properties window is launched, click "Advanced System Settings" located on the left hand side of the screen.

Step 4: In the Advanced System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab and select Device Installation Settings.

Step 5: When in Device installation settings, select "No, let me choose what to do" and "Never install driver software from Windows update".

Step 6: Save the selected preference and restart the system.

The system drivers will now stop automatic updates and users will have to manually install drivers for any new hardware that needs to be interfaced with the system."

Please let me know if this helps.

September 16th, 2015 23:00

Dell-Ravi BC: I installed 10.18.15.4278.  It absolutely did NOT resolve the flickering problem for me.  In fact, it made it far more severe.  The only usable work-around remains disabling C-State in BIOS.

Is anybody at Dell actually testing this problem????  It seems like you just keep pushing all new updates onto us and asking us to see if it works.  How about you guys actually test and solve the problem for once?  This is really getting ridiculous...

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 02:00

Same here. I uninstalled 4279 deleting files - auto-update was off but I also activated Air-plane-mode to be double sure. Restarted - checked driver - "Basic Microsoft Video Adapter".

Than installed 4278 as suggested - restarted again - checked driver - let a sleep once - let the screen go out by timeout - when it comes back on it's flickering.

So no - not a solution for me.

I strongly agree with PCofInterest. Dell - you should not just suggest install this and that and let your clients do the testing. You should make sure that it actually does solve the problem. It seems to be wide spread enough so you can have access to hardware that is failing to test by yourself.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 04:00

I suppose this is happening to all of you...

20 Posts

September 17th, 2015 04:00

Driver 4278 did not fix the problem for me!

1 Message

September 17th, 2015 05:00

The latest intel drivers 4279 DID fix the issue for me. At first the glitches were still there. Communicating with @dellcares from twitter we tried a few things like deinstall device, reboot safe mode and in bios disable c-states. I've had c-states off for a while and after the safe mode boot, i enabled the c-states again followed by a full restart. I have tried several ways to simulate the problem again (close lid, wait few mins and open lid and wake again) (let screen off and sleep and wake again) So far a 4 days without glitches! Let's hope the issue won't return again....

8 Posts

September 17th, 2015 10:00

4278 DOES NOT SOLVE FLICKER PROBLEM.

Quit messing with us and the solution to this problem. It is time for Dell to find a solution, test it and pass it on to its customers who bought the XPS13 9343.

So much for "DELL CARES"!!

20 Posts

September 17th, 2015 22:00

Dell, please fix the Problem!

7 Posts

September 18th, 2015 00:00

I have been reading and checking this thread and tried all possible steps you all have suggested.

it does not solve the problem! how long do we have to wait till our patience runs out?

10 Posts

September 18th, 2015 04:00

4278 did not help, only C state disable.

DELL, PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!

19 Posts

September 18th, 2015 13:00

This works:

In my case, updating a driver seems to have fixed the problem.

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
Chipset_Driver_KFR45_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE

In my case, my screen was flickering almost every time I brought the XPS13 out of sleep. After updating this driver (the only driver Dell found needed updating), the laptop has experienced no screen flickering.

10 Posts

September 19th, 2015 00:00

I've tried every step suggested in this forum page, all drivers are up to date and 4278 is installed but DOES NOT SOLVE FLICKER PROBLEM..... nothing helps, only the disabling the C-State in BIOS

By the way, DELL suggested the money return for my device, but frankly speaking I do not want to send it back....

P L E A S E      H E L P    !!!

14 Posts

September 19th, 2015 23:00

I also have the XPS 13 L321x model. Right after the free upgrade from Windows 7 Premium to Windows 10, experienced the trackpad issue and the fuzzy and flickering screen. 

I was able to resolve the trackpad issue using the Cypress driver. All trackpad functions back to normal. However, I have not done anything yet with the screen issue as I haven't read a full proof solution in any blog, thread or article.

Has Dell acknowledged already these trackpad and screen issues? Any solution offered yet, instead of giving work arounds (such as disabling c-state) which affects battery performance?

It is just sad that my L321x doesn't function too well under Windows 10 given these issues. Hope Dell acknowledges this and provides a permanent solution. 

20 Posts

September 21st, 2015 03:00

I am very disappointed that this issue is not finally solved :-(

I paid 1600 Euros for the Notebook!

2 Posts

September 21st, 2015 07:00

So how do you disable this Flux program?

No Events found!