Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

28 Posts

November 16th, 2015 06:00

Kdavidyates,

Thanks for your another data points on our Dell xps13 (L321x).  Bear in mind that Colin at Dell and team are actively working with us (you, me, PeterWBaker, egzbuen, and many others) to resolve the issue.  Let us be a little patient to aloe them to do their work. 

PeterWBaker/egzbuen, have you run the script provided by Colin and sent Colin the over 8MB of files to look into our configurations?   Thanks to Colin and team to support this "minority" team having the HD-3000 video controller. Cheers

10 Posts

November 21st, 2015 09:00

Kdavidyates,

Thanks for your another data points on our Dell xps13 (L321x).  Bear in mind that Colin at Dell and team are actively working with us (you, me, PeterWBaker, egzbuen, and many others) to resolve the issue.  Let us be a little patient to aloe them to do their work. 

PeterWBaker/egzbuen, have you run the script provided by Colin and sent Colin the over 8MB of files to look into our configurations?   Thanks to Colin and team to support this "minority" team having the HD-3000 video controller. Cheers

In case you'd like another data point, using the driver combination stated in my last post, although I don't experience the display corruption, I do very often find that the mouse pointer refuses to move after waking the laptop from sleep. So I am now basically unable to use the sleep function, and frequently have to restart if I do. What's weird is that the pointer always moves on the lock screen (e.g. after opening the lid) but then freezes as soon as I login.

On the subject of Colin at Dell, and the team, working on this - that's super, but given how long Windows 10 has been out, I am finding it difficult to feel grateful. This is my work laptop, and it has ranged from unstable to unusable since I upgraded to Windows 10. If things don't improve very soon I will have no option but to wipe it and reinstall Windows 7, or else ditch it and get something that works.

28 Posts

November 25th, 2015 07:00

Colin,

I understand that the folks at UK do not have Thanksgiving break.  We wish you and your team have a grateful holiday season.  That said, could you update us all with the XPS13 (L321x) model how the investigation is coming along please?  Have you narrowed down the root cause and is working on the patch now?  We shall be grateful to keep the focus and dialog on going please.

10 Posts

November 26th, 2015 11:00

Iam168

Kdavidyates,

In case you'd like another data point, using the driver combination stated in my last post, although I don't experience the display corruption, I do very often find that the mouse pointer refuses to move after waking the laptop from sleep. So I am now basically unable to use the sleep function, and frequently have to restart if I do. What's weird is that the pointer always moves on the lock screen (e.g. after opening the lid) but then freezes as soon as I login.

On the subject of Colin at Dell, and the team, working on this - that's super, but given how long Windows 10 has been out, I am finding it difficult to feel grateful. This is my work laptop, and it has ranged from unstable to unusable since I upgraded to Windows 10. If things don't improve very soon I will have no option but to wipe it and reinstall Windows 7, or else ditch it and get something that works.

In case anyone is still following this thread for the L321x, I have found that my laptop is now stable, and does not suffer from the mouse pointer freezing on wake issue or display corruption, using the following drivers:

Video: 9.17.10.2817

Trackpad: 2.5.1.59

These are pretty old drivers, but they seem to work together in Windows 10 without issues. As long as Windows 10 insists on forcing driver updates, we will have to keep rolling back to these drivers and hiding updates - unless of course Colin actually exists, is working on this issue, and finds a solution.

• 

351 Posts

November 30th, 2015 03:00

My apologies for not getting back sooner - I was out of the office on vacation. 

I'm currently chasing up Engineering for an update, but the last I heard was that they were reproducing the fault and analysing the results, so at least things are moving in the right direction towards getting this issue fixed for you all.

28 Posts

November 30th, 2015 05:00

Colin and the Dell team,

Many thanks for your update!  It is grateful to hear that the fix is on the way.  Many of us are waiting to see the end of the tunnel.  Cheers!  

14 Posts

November 30th, 2015 06:00

Waiting for a solution as well with baited breath.

Hope we do get updated all the time.  

Thanks Collin, from me and the other l321x owners/users.

28 Posts

December 7th, 2015 06:00

Colin and the Dell team,

It has been another week since egzbuen's post.  Could you provide an update please?  we knew that the trouble-shoot exercise was heading to the right direction from your last update (~10 days ago).  Do you have an estimate when the process will arrive at the fix?  Thanks for the diligence and update.

28 Posts

December 7th, 2015 19:00

Colin,

Thanks for your update and suggestion.  Unfortunately, I could not find the option to deselect "Display Refresh Rate Switching" on my Intel Graphic Control Panel?  I have enclosed a few screen shots to illustrate the step(s) I have gone through.  Please look at my 3 enclosed screen shots and provide further advices.  Thanks.

1 Attachment

December 10th, 2015 06:00

On Control Panel -top right corner- search "Intel Graphics..."

4 Posts

December 10th, 2015 14:00

I'm having this same issue with my brand new 9350.  I've tried several things, with little luck. 

Colin, I don't see those options you mentioned in my version of the Intel Control Panel (mine looks a bit different than the PDF posted by Iam168 - I have a white UI, not a dark one).

The one thing that seems to make it stop 100% of the time (for a few mins at least):

1. WIN+P key to bring up projectors pane in Windows
  2. Click "Connect to a wireless device" (it begins scanning for a device - even if one doesn't exist it fixed it for me)

After that it works ok for a couple minutes.  It has never failed, but this is a major annoyance, and quite frankly I would rather return this and use my 3 - 4 year old HP if it's going to continue being an issue.

Thankfully, it seems you guys are on it, but it does worry me that this seems to be a pretty wide spread issue that dates back well over a year on the previous generation XPS 13's. 

I hope to hear some good news before my return period expires :-X

Thanks!

28 Posts

December 11th, 2015 05:00

Aplocher,

It is unfortunate that you have to join this group dealing with the Dell XPS13 graphic issue.  I have tried what Alejandrobellod has suggested.  My Intel Graphic Control Panel does "black".  I do not know if Intel Graphic Control Panel has different version to the HD300 HD video controller.  I ran it again last night and I want to show it to Colin and the Dell team to perhaps suggest the next step to resolve this graphic issue which has been around for months now.

There is not an option to de-select the refresh rate as suggested by Colin in his email. 

Colin - please update the group what is the next step.  Many thanks.

December 11th, 2015 12:00

It seems that this issue has to do with radio signals from wi-fi and bluetooth. It desappears when I disconnect them both and quite dims when only connect wi-fi and not bluetooth. Will you please check this, thanks.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2015 06:00

I've also been experiencing the screen flickering on my new XPS13 9350, although it does not occur just during startup for me.  I also noted that it has to do with the wifi.  Disabling the wifi driver or putting the laptop in airplane mode stops the screen flickering immediately.  Also, the worst the screen flickering gets is during large downloads, streaming Netflix, or initially connecting to a wifi network.  It doesn't always start flickering, but when it does, the laptop becomes unusable and the flickering will not stop until I somehow disable wifi functionality.

I've used bluetooth without wifi enabled and had no issues, but I have not tested wifi enabled without bluetooth.

Until a fix is out, I can get by using an ethernet dongle or a cheap USB wifi dongle.  That being said, had this not been my third XPS13 in a week (the first two had a unattached trackpad and a failed hard drive), had it not cost me $30 for each round trip to the Microsoft Store, and had I not desperately needed a working laptop for school, I would've returned this machine.

Just hoping to add another data point.

67 Posts

January 4th, 2016 15:00

Hi, had trouble accessing the thread since a while, just got back on.   Iam168 I can't see your images however to follow Colin's advice you need to search/Windows key "Graphics and Media", it will then lead you to "Intel(R) Graphics and Media Control Panel.  Select , set "Power Source" to and then with the balanced power plan the "Display Refresh Rate Switching" box appears...  I have deselected it, lets se if it makes a difference.  

Colin any news on the driver updates please?  Peter

No Events found!