Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2014 08:00

XPS 14 (L421x) Can't manually change brightness

I installed all video/power management drivers needed:

1. nVidia GeForce 630M + GeForce Expericience (up-to-date)
  2. Intel HD Graphics 4000 (up-to-date)
  3. Dell battery (Dell Intelligent Display ON + Dell Extended Battery Life ON + Desktop Mode ON)

When I try to change the brightness (Fn + F4/F5) the system shows the brightness slider, it moves up and down, but the brightness remains the same. The only thing that modify the system brightness is the image displayed in the notebook, in darker images, the brightness automatically goes down and in brighter images it goes up.

How can i adjust it manually?

XPS 14 L421x

5 Posts

April 28th, 2014 13:00

Good luck JCChristian. I'm repeatedly having the same issue with my XPS 15 L521X. Again Dell support website days drivers are up to date and Windows says the 8.1 OS is up to date. Very annoying as I chose this laptop due to its screen to do photo processing.

5 Posts

April 29th, 2014 02:00

I had a bit of success last night and now can manually adjust the brightness of my screen.In summary it seems that at some point drivers were installed which were newer but not appropriate, hence the deactivation of the manual screen brightness.

I fixed the issue by installing the BIOS and both of the video drivers specific to my service tag and also to my OS (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Interestingly, it was the smaller one, the Intel HD Graphics Driver which did the trick for me and reactivated the screen brightness control even though it warned me that I was installing an older version than what I currently had.

Regarding the adaptive brightness, this tells you how to turn it off:

http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fix-dark-screen-problems/

Hope this helps. Good luck.

33 Posts

May 8th, 2014 07:00

Thanks, it worked!

Sadly we'll have to use an older version of the driver to get a simple screen dimming working. That's ridiculous -.-

Windows update shows me an optional "Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 99.6MB", and I had to hide it.

1 Message

May 18th, 2014 13:00

It is sad that after a year and a half this still hasn't been fixed. I actually need the latest Intel video drivers to get WiDi to work with my new TV, a reason I bought this computer was to use WiDi for work. Windows 8.1 like the newest WiDi drivers better and the TV has the newest version in it and most of the time I can't even get it to connect. It would also be nice to actually play current games with better performance with the newer Nvidia drivers but of course Dell doesn't care. See as new nvidia drivers come out the increase in performance in older games with optimization. I will never buy a Dell again, at least with an old laptop I had that had both intel and amd graphics there was an community of people cobbled together newer drivers in the old packages but because of this 1 stupid bug we can't do that.

7 Posts

July 24th, 2014 14:00

I have this same laptop but only with the Intel HD4000 chipset ie no Nvidia.    The video driver that came pre-installed is  10.18.10.3621.    The only video drivers listed for my service tag for Windows 8.1 is videlo_driver_VJH9H_WN_10.18.10.3262_A00.exe. Nothing newer and nothing older.  I am hesitant to go back to that older one as dimming was working fine for me before I added some Intel Management Engine Interface driver and Intel Chipset driver updates.

No one seems to be able to tell me where to get 10.18.10.3621 so I can try a re-install.  I'm also wondering if you suffered any side effects of going back to an older video driver.

5 Posts

August 6th, 2014 08:00

You can get the driver from here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/[ your service tag ]/drivers

For me there were no side affects - my machine just worked as it did when I first got it and the screen brightness was operational again.

December 7th, 2015 14:00

Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Windows 10 & Windows 8.1   ( Brightness fix with latest driver)

Brightness Fix with Driver Date 8/17/2015 )

Brightness problem Solved

Intel HD Graphics 4000 with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M graphics.

Install:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver,     Driver Date: 8/17/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.10.4276

Make sure you backup your registry first before proceeding!!!!

open regedit  in  Run Command

Registry has wrong value:

Currently reads as :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=       f000

Registry with New Value:

You needed to change the value in registry to:  (   f008   )

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"=        f008

Then Restart Computer

Brightness Fixed with Latest driver.

Let me know if this was helpful to you

jrreyn02@outlook.com

No Events found!