Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2015 16:00

XPS 15 9550 Coil Whine

I was hoping this wouldn't be an issue with the newer generation models, as it was my understanding this was fixed towards the end of the previous generation. Unfortunately, I have audible coil whine on my new XPS 15 9550 when plugged in to the power adapter. When disconnected from the adapter, the whine is much less noticeable. It is most noticeable for me when scrolling in Chrome, as an example. KB backlight makes no difference. It does get slightly better when the battery is fully charged, but is still quite audible to me.

Is anybody else experiencing this with the Skylake models? I am extremely disappointed at this point, I like everything else about this laptop other than the coil whine and the webcam being at the bottom of the display (which I can live with, unlike the coil whine).

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 02:00

I'm experiencing this as well with my Microsoft signature edition. Is there a fix or are all machines like this? Id hate to have to get it replaced after I set it up.. It's not as easy to get set up as TM on a mac...

January 29th, 2016 08:00

I have the same problem, it's extremely loud and hurts my ears after about 2 minutes.

January 29th, 2016 11:00

I have had this issue and just updated to the BIOS that came out a day or two ago.  Right now I'm charging and it's not buzzing!  I don't know if it's a fixed or not, I'll have to let the laptop discharge a few times and charge it to confirm consistent results.  I'll report back after a few discharges.

February 6th, 2016 15:00

It's is better, but still does it at times, it also causes a line conditioner for my audio system start to buzz... I have a new power brick coming and hope it fixes it.

4 Posts

February 14th, 2016 08:00

I experience the same issue: disabling C-state in the BIOS seems to reduce the noise slightly.

Let us know if the new power brick fixes it.

1 Message

February 17th, 2016 11:00

Both xps 15 and power brick were buzzing with the defective one? or just your power brick? what is your case?  If the source of the noise is just power brick, then replacing the power brick will resolve the problem. I wonder,  if both units are buzzing, replacing the power brick also resolve XPS 15 coil whine?

February 17th, 2016 12:00

The buzzing was coming from the power brick itself, in my case there was no audible buzzing or coil whine from the laptop itself.

Another thing that was happening with the defective power brick was this:
I have an advanced Home Theater System and have a "Power Line Conditioner & Surge Protector" (Think of it as a really big Surge Protector that also filters out noise introduced through the power grid, providing cleaner power to the audio system.)
When using the defective power brick, plugged in anywhere in my basement, it would cause this Line Conditioner to make a very loud buzzing/humming (Coil Whine).  So the defective power brick was also affecting other electronic devices plugged into my home.  With the new power brick I have no more problems like this.

1 Message

February 24th, 2016 07:00

adding to this, my xps 9550 came in today, with the charger DP/N ORN7NW  and it makes a whirring buzzing noise, just asked dell support for a replacement.

March 8th, 2016 05:00

That is great news!  Thanks for the update so we know it fixed it for you too!

7 Posts

March 8th, 2016 08:00

Hi. I am also experiencing the problem.

I have the "old" power brick. I contacted Dell support and I didn't get an answer yet.

Very disappointing!

• 

351 Posts

March 8th, 2016 08:00

Hi. I am also experiencing the problem.

I have the "old" power brick. I contacted Dell support and I didn't get an answer yet.

Very disappointing!

If you don't get an answer, PM me with your service tag and I'll get it resolved for you

7 Posts

March 8th, 2016 14:00

Thank you very much Colin!

I will wait 1-2 days more. If I don't get an answer (this is my 2nd ticket already about the same matter) I will let you know.

Thanks again!

Eddy

15 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 10:00

I'm having the same issue, but it only started when an engineer replaced my keyboard (related to separate issue). Symptoms are the same as previous posters, only happens when power adapter is plugged in.

I did notice that the old keyboard had some sort of copper cover stuck to its underside, while the new keyboard didn't have this. Is this a shield for heat or EM interference? Could it be related to this coil whine issue?

2 Posts

March 25th, 2016 14:00

This is so frustrating! My brick is also marked DP/N 06TTY6 but my laptop has been buzzing away since I got it a little over a month ago...Does this mean a replacement power brick is not a sure fix? 

It's a constant whiny, scratchy buzzing...gets louder and more frantic in tone when plugged into AC power or when the laptop is being used. When unplugged it settles down to a high pitched beeping... sort of like the beeping of a watch alarm.

Also, how can a new adapter fix the noises coming out of the laptop...?

Adapter:

2 Posts

March 26th, 2016 19:00

*bump*

Did a new adapter fix the issue for everyone who had this coil whine?? The noise seems to be getting worse by the day..:emotion-12: I dread having to plug in my laptop when I'm in class now, because the buzzing from the adapter is loud enough to attract funny looks from people sitting beside me!

I have 2-yr premium support, is there a separate number 9for Canada) I can call to get this resolved quick?

No Events found!