Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2016 11:00

XPS 15 9550 Freeze randomly - Black screen

My XPS 15 9550 - quad core i5 freezes randomly - the screen will turn black (or grey), but not the windows BSOD. I have to hold the power button to force shutdown and reboot the laptop when this happens.

Tried updating all drivers, not helpful, clean installed windows 10, didn't help.

This could happen anytime, even at the time I'm not touch my laptop, or running anything.

Seems to be driver related or hardware.. anyone have some issues? 

12 Posts

February 24th, 2016 11:00

About the win10pro activation, no, you won't have any issue as dell will make sure the new motherboard is identical to your old one so win10 won't think this is a new hardware.

27 Posts

February 24th, 2016 13:00

This is new info to me.. I didnt buy win 10 pro from dell. I had my own copy. They can make a motherboard identical? 

February 26th, 2016 06:00

Same problem here too. Ok until recent bios update, so can't believe it is a hardware issue.

I've disabled the Nvidia and will wait and see. I don't use a dock or visit YouTube, but do some photo editing, I wonder where the benefit of the Nvidia is to me.

Without sitting on the 'phone for hours (I gave up after one hour waiting to get through to someone at Dell who maybe could shed light on the problem), does any of this conversation get back to Dell?

I was unable to email Dell with the problem, I was unable to Chat about the problem, so had to try the 'phone so I'm really hoping this gets to someone who can do something about it. Another bios update maybe?

27 Posts

February 26th, 2016 09:00

I've spent with hours with their technical team, on the phone and on chat, Dell has not acknowledged this issue.. Support is very bad - they are trying  give me a refurbished laptop to replace my 1 month old machine. 

Can't image I bought this piece of ***. I should have the  macbook pro a 2nd thought. 

7 Posts

February 26th, 2016 10:00

You ask why you need the Nvidia? Well, because you paid good money for it? No?

It might be a BIOS issue. However, my issue got resolved with a new motherboard, and I have updated my BIOS on that one to 1.1.19 as well.

February 28th, 2016 06:00

Ah well, even with the 960M disabled I got the black screen again. Even had the occasional brightness flicker that others have complained about.

Time to really get at Dell.

5 Posts

February 28th, 2016 12:00

I haven't had this issue before the bios update, I think it might be because of that. I was using my Nvidia GPU much more frequently before the update and it never had a issue like this. I deleted all my games and barely using my 960m right now but it crashes while watching something.

6 Posts

February 28th, 2016 15:00

This is an issue that occured after / with the 1.15 BIOS driver , any previous versions work without this issue but with other issues like throtting on A/C power and bad battery life. Dell(if anyone of you is reading) its time you put some serious time on the bios fix , as its been around for quite some time and it seems like you don't even do enough testing before releasing and introduce new errors with every release of a critical thing such as BIOS. 

53 Posts

February 28th, 2016 17:00

Actually I don't know. I thought so too that the problem was BIOS related; but then I decided to exchange my unit at Best Buy and with the same firmware 1.1.19, same Windows installation, same drivers and same everything, I've been running my XPS trouble free for almost a week now.

You are right about one thing though, Dell is pretty horrible company, I think we pretty much all agree on that. Appalling QA and even worse customer support.

27 Posts

February 28th, 2016 17:00

Dell doesn't care. I'm actually going to buy many of them for our company, but we are not going to buy any more Dells. Talked to their customer support for this 1.5 month laptop (which is almost being idle), they totally dont acknowledge this issue.

It's may be related to BIOS, but I had this issue before and after the BIOS update. Actually, I got this freeze mostly when I dont actively use the 960M.

6 Posts

February 29th, 2016 00:00

Well the Issue starts mostly when you make use of the Nvidia GPU and switch back to the Intel so might want to test it with that sort of behavior @Mircolindo , for me the issue never occurs with the old BIOS , but if i update it it just comes back right away, but with what you say i'm not sure if they made changes in hardware as well but its very unlikely.

5 Posts

February 29th, 2016 07:00

I downgraded my BIOS to BIOS 15(this is the bios which came out in January) and it is running like butter right now. I think if you have this problem you should give it a try.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 03:00

Brunzee you are a champion. I downgraded my BIOS to 15 also and problem appears solved. I've had no crashes thus far and by now I would have had a few. Thanks a million..

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 05:00

No problem, I am glad I could help

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 06:00

I started using the bios 15 2 days ago and still not a crash even though I am watching videos heavily to see if it worked. Bios 19 is good but not must-have. It fixes little things and gave me a pretty big bug. Secondly, Are you sure about motherboard ? I mean I haven't had any problems with it until the new bios.

No Events found!