Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2015 18:00

XPS 15 9550 Keyboard Backlight Timeout

Just received the XPS 15 9550 Microsoft Signature edition. The keyboard backlight times out in about 10 sec. Past Dell laptops allowed setting the delay in the Windows Mobility Center (WMC), but there isn't a Custom Dell keyboard setting in WMC in Windows 10. 

There also isn't a control panel setting, or a BIOS setting that affects the timeout delay. No driver/utility downloads that address this issue.

Any ideas on how to adjust the backlight timeout?

8 Posts

January 5th, 2016 02:00

I found the solution searching the internet,

Dell Feature Enhancement Pack (DFEP)

Dell Feature Enhancement Pack provides OS extensions and features for Dell business client platforms, including:

- Support for hot keys and system events

- Dell customized power plans and extensions

- Battery Health Information

- Touch Panel

- Keyboard backlighting

- Smart Settings

First install option 1: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Second install option 2: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Good luck and all should work.

• 

351 Posts

January 5th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

I'd advise downloading the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack. Once installed follow these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel

2. Depending on your setup;

a. If you have Category view selected choose Hardware and Sound then Dell Keyboard Backlight Settings and change the 'Turn off Backlight in' option to your desired setting. Click Apply.

b. If you have Icon view selected choose Dell Keyboard Backlight Settings and change the 'Turn off Backlight in' option to your desired setting. Click Apply.

The Backlight will then only go out depending on your setting

February 8th, 2016 17:00

I tried Dell Feature Enhancement Pack Application 2.2.1, A00 (~22MB) on my XPS 9550 running Windows 10 Pro (after creating a restore point) and some wrinkles apart, it works. The installer allows you to just unpack the files, should you want to scrutinize them first. It also allows you to just install some (groups of) features, some of which are a bit pointless on the 9550. The installed options seems to be available to all users on the computer.

The keyboard backlight timeout settings works, You can chose from 5, 15, 30, 60 and 300 seconds, but not return to the original 10. The setting seems to apply to all users on the computer. It also has a slider for keyboard brightness, which worked, but made some "common dll" crash.

The pack also has a tool where you can see the Id, manufacturer, health and charge level of your battery, but not change anything. Dell Smart Settings has a few shortcuts for things like "outdoor", "movie" etc, which alters display settings, which types of alarms to allow and so forth. Its toggle for airplane mode is disabled, but Windows 10 has its own.

The hotkeys settings will show the hotkeys present on the F keys (plus one that doesn't work) but won't let you change anything. There is also an OSD-something that, thus far, has only showed me a picture when I alter keyboard brightness. I think I'll uninstall the whole thing and just reinstall the backlight setting and, maybe, the battery info module.

9 Posts

December 25th, 2015 15:00

I have the same question.  I switched from a Macbook Air to this really nice XPS 15 9550 but I'd like to setup the keyboard backlighting behavior to be the same as the Macbook Air, if possible.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

January 4th, 2016 22:00

I have this same question.  Driving me crazy.  I have to move the touch pad to keep it on or turnit on all the time.

I tried installing a few of the support downloads and they didn't help.

Help!

1 Message

January 25th, 2016 05:00

Hi Colin,

The link to the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack is for a 2 year old version released in March 2014.  The XPS 9550 is not listed as supported (In fact NO XPS model is listed...) and support for Windows 10 is also not listed.

How do you know that this package is compatible with a recent XPS 9550 model?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 15th, 2016 17:00

The Dell Feature Enhancement Pack Application 2.2.1, A00 really works although it's an older package

not officially for the XPS 15.

You can safely install the package although i created a restore point too like the previous poster.

When done go to settings and search for DELL.

You will see the option to change the back light setting.

Another tip unrelated to this subject but maybe useful for the owners of this laptop.

I really missed the dedicated home,end and pageup/down buttons.

I installed the program Sharpkeys and changed the right Alt and Ctrl in a Home and End key.

I use the F11 and F12 as page up and down.

1 Message

February 16th, 2016 20:00

I have an XPS  9350.  I've installed the most recent version of the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack, and the most recent version of Microsoft .NET Framework.  When I try to change the keyboard backlight settings, I get a .dll error.  Any suggestions on how to remedy this so that I can change the settings?  Thanks

1 Message

February 19th, 2016 04:00

I wish Dell would provide an officially supported solution for this. I don't want to be running outdated Windows 7/8 app code on my shiny new XPS 15, and it's really frustrating that my backlit keyboard keeps going dark between my thoughts when working in a darkened room. Why wouldn't they just make it so the keyboard backlight stays on in the dark if you're running on AC anyhow?

1 Message

September 4th, 2016 23:00

I also have this problem, and would like to have an official solution from Dell. This is an annoying issue with this otherwise fine laptop.

18 Posts

November 10th, 2016 18:00

This solution doesn't work for me using Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition. Both .exe files fail to install the keyboard backlight feature, although they install the user guide! Any other ideas?

December 1st, 2016 17:00

I agree with the others regarding the need for an OFFICIAL solution from Dell DESIGNED FOR XPS 9550 systems. We should not have to rely on installing outdated software for basic functionality. These are expensive systems. Can anyone from Dell please comment on whether this is in the works??

1 Message

January 24th, 2017 17:00

I'm facing the same problem as well. Would love to hear a solution.

No Events found!