Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2015 05:00

XPS 15 9550 with 2 Dell U2414H monitors

I have a new XPS 15 9550 with NVidia GeForce GTX 960M HD (not 4K).

I have 2 Dell U2414H monitors (each has DP/mDP/HDMI).

The XPS has a HDMI, and a Thunderbolt 3 which I see can do lots - like an additional HDMI - with adapter.

But what's my best option for hooking up both U2414H's? 

Can I XPS-Mon1 by HDMI, and daisy chain the second monitor off the first with DP to mDP?

Or is it best to get some adaptor?

8 Posts

December 17th, 2015 10:00

I too have a new XPS 15 9550 and would like to run two external monitors off of it. My current setup includes two DELL monitors also. I am using HDMI for one and a Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter for the second. www.amazon.com/.../B00VTZ7PKI

Just a warning though, I have been experiencing some problems. Not sure if it's a hardware or software (driver/firmware) issue. Although my setup has worked with other laptops the XPS 15 9550 has trouble maintaining sync. It will think that one or the other monitor is unplugged and plugged back in repeatedly causing the display to flicker and the window orientations to change. This happens with both ports using USB-C and/or HDMI, either on single or dual output. I don't have the model numbers of the monitors off hand but I've also tried this with a third monitor of a different model with the same results.I have not found a solution yet. I've read online and in forums that others are experiencing similar issues with external screen flickering. Currently I'm unsure of whether I will be keeping this laptop because of this issue. Unless Dell comes up with a fix soon I will be returning it as it is preventing me from working effectively.

To note, the USB-C to HDMI adapter works perfectly well with other devices/laptops on the same Dell monitors. I am only having issues when using the XPS 15.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2015 17:00

Hi - thanks for your note.

I think I'm going to try just USBC-DP or MiniDP to the one Dell monitor, then daisy chain it to the 2nd monitor.  Will post how it goes.

What BIOS and chipset versions are you using?  did you update to the latest?  

My BIOS shipped with 10005, and there's a 07 version.  Also looks like chipset updates as well.

Keep us posted - and I'll do the same.  

8 Posts

December 21st, 2015 16:00

I am on the lastest BIOS Version 01.00.07 from Dell's support page. It came with 01.00.05. I've also updated the chipset firmware from the support page as well.

My sync issue seems to have subsided some but hasn't completely gone away. I notice it more when I'm having WiFi issues or when it is trying to scan and find an access point. I can replicate the sync issue simply by reboot/powering off my router.

Another issue I'm having is that my monitors does not come out of sleep mode. I have to actually hit the power button to turn off/on the monitor when I try to wake it after it auto-sleeps.

December 22nd, 2015 13:00

Black7: I had a similar wake up problem with my new Precision and a U3011 connected with a HDMI cable. The monitor didn't wake up from power saving when booting the notebook or when I did a restart. Try to switch off all related energy saving settings under advanced Settings. I've done this for the DC part and had success.

But honestly, I made several changes during the setup process in this time, so no guaranty that this has been the origin for the problem. Hope that helps for you as well

Adrian

2 Posts

August 20th, 2017 04:00

Can I ask what the final solution was for your respective problems?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 20th, 2017 09:00

There are tons of solutions here, although note that the HDMI port will not do 4K @ 60 Hz, only @ 30 Hz.  Other than that though, any of the following will work:

- A USB-C or Thunderbolt Dock, such as the WD15 or TB16, respectively. The main difference between the two is their display bandwidth capabilities, and although this solution is probably the most expensive, it also gives the most functionality.

- A USB-C to HDMI adapter/cable for one display and a regular HDMI connector for the second.

- A Thunderbolt to Dual DisplayPort adapter, plus DisplayPort to HDMI adapters if needed on the outputs of that adapter. Note that these would have to be ACTIVE adapters, not the more typical passive adapters, since Thunderbolt/USB-C do not output "dual mode DisplayPort / DP++" that allows passive adapters to work. Since this uses Thunderbolt, you get the benefit of having two full DP 1.2 outputs worth of bandwidth available, so you could drive dual 4K displays @ 60 Hz this way.

- A USB-C to DisplayPort cable to a DisplayPort display that supports DisplayPort daisy chaining by also providing a DisplayPort OUTPUT, in which case you could connect Display 1 to Display 2 so that you only have a single cable attached to your system. This would NOT allow any adapters however, except MiniDP to regular DP or vice versa.  With daisy-chaining, all displays must use native DisplayPort.  Also, since this is regular USB-C, you only get a single DP 1.2 output of bandwidth, so dual displays would be limited to 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz with this setup.

- A USB-C to DisplayPort female dongle, with a DisplayPort MST hub connected to the dongle.  However, this again only gives you a single DP 1.2 output of bandwidth, so the Thunderbolt to Dual DisplayPort option would probably be better. The only possible advantages of this solution would be lower cost and the ability to use this equipment with a system that had USB-C but not Thunderbolt.

No Events found!