Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2011 03:00

XPS 15 - Headphone jacks don't work

Bought a new xps15 a few months ago and have been very happy with it to date - however! I travel a fair bit and recently invested in a pretty expensive set of headphones to partner my new laptop in-flight. Much to my dismay the headphone jacks dont seem to work - i have tried a few different headphones but no joy.

Can anyone help, i'm hoping theres a simple solution as I really dont want the hassle of sending the laptop for repairs...

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 5th, 2015 04:00

I had the same issue, and I resolved as you recommended. However mi headphones are not working yet.

I have already tried others and nothing

What else could I do?

Hello. I apologize for the delay in answering -- I have fallen behind a bit.

Try switching to the Windows native audio driver and see if the headphones work. If it does then the Realtek audio driver is buggy. If it does not work with either the Realtek driver or the native driver then probably hardware failure. In that case contact tech support if you are still under warranty. If not then get an inexpensive usb audio jack.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 18th, 2011 04:00

if the Realtek audio driver is not installed, then install it. You can have audio without it but the jacks will not all work right.

If it is currently installed then uninstall it (go to Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a program) and download a fresh copy and install it. You can tell if it is installed if you see the word "Realtek" in the Sound properties, similar to this:

While you are in the properties you can right click on "Speakers" and then select "Configure speakers" to make sure the configuration is correct.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2011 21:00

Success! Well that proved to be easier than I expected it to be, thanks Jim!

1 Message

August 31st, 2015 05:00

Hello,

I had the same issue, and I resolved as you recommended. However mi headphones are not working yet.

I have already tried others and nothing

What else could I do?

thanks

4 Posts

December 21st, 2017 09:00

Hi

Having tried lots of different things with no success - this solution fixed my headphones - now all working . Thank you.

No Events found!