Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2017 12:00

XPS 15 Laptop Sudden Shutdown Problem

I bought a Dell XPS 15 laptop with i7 6770 processor 1 TB SSD hard-drive and 32 GB of RAM a few months ago. I've recently started to have problems where it will suddenly shut down and then begin trying to turn itself back on again unsuccessfully. The power light comes on and I hear the computer 'revving' and then it shuts off and then tries to restart again. To stop this process I have to hold the power button when it is lit until I hear a super-rev and it shuts off. When I then go to restart the computer I am taken through the troubleshoot tests. The laptop passes the hardware test and tells me I have no problems with the hardware. Sometimes the computer then restarts okay. Other times I get to my login screen and the computer crashes again. 

When I contacted Dell about the problem that had me reinstall Windows 10 Pro. After that reinstall I didn't encounter the problem for about two weeks (but I was also using the laptop less intensively then). The problem has now returned. I am using the computer at this moment, but I don't know whether it will suddenly shut off. 

Does anyone have suggestions on what the issue might be? I read somewhere that it might be an overheating problem, but I'm not sure how to diagnose that issue. I did just adjust my Processor Power Settings and reduced the maximum from 100% to 99%. Time will tell whether that works. 

2K Posts

March 25th, 2017 07:00

Hi DELLCUSTOMER5,

What is the exact system model? What applications are you using when the system powers off? Does this happen with or without the adapter connected? Does the system overheat?

Please check if there is any damage on the machine. Check if all the ports on the machine are fine or misaligned. Sometimes if the pins in the USB ports are touching each other, they are known to cause many issues on the machine.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

Check if the system powers off while running the above tests.

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Restart and press f2 on startup to enter BIOS and check for any available thermal logs.

If the issue is unresolved, then restart the system and press f2 to enter BIOS - leave the system in BIOS with the adapter plugged in for as long as possible and check if the system powers off while in BIOS environment.

If the system overheats, download the service manual from the above link and clean the fan assembly and the air vents with a small vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air. Reapply the thermal paste on the heatsink.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records. If the system is under warranty, then based on your region, I shall advise further course of action.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

March 26th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for these suggestions. I have an XPS 15 9550 laptop with 32 GB RAM and 1 TB hard drive.

I updated the BIOS and then went to Dell's website and ran the 40 minute long diagnostic test from my account on the website. All of the hardware passed the test, except the Standard NVM Express Controller failed the PCI Express Status Test. The system powered off once before I started the test, but it stayed on during the test.

I then ran the system memory diagnostic test on the Dell website and the system passed that test.

I updated the system - there were three updates from Dell.

I restarted and hit F2 and saw that there were no thermal events. There were several power events.

I restarted and hit F12 and ran the diagnostics – the computer passed all of the tests.

Generally, I believe the sudden outage has occurred with the adapter plugged in. But, I am not sure if perhaps it has also happened while the adapter was unplugged. Is there an issue with the computer being plugged in that I should be aware of?

Do you have pictures of what the pins on the USB port should look like? Or what they look like when there is a problem?

I don't feel comfortable opening up the computer and messing with it. I paid for a 3-year warranty on the hardware so I hope that a Dell professional would address any hardware issues.

What other steps would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

2K Posts

March 29th, 2017 12:00

Hi DELLCUSTOMER5,

I have responded to your  private message.

Kindly review the same.

No Events found!