Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 31st, 2008 06:00

XPS 1530 A/C adaptor power cord mismatch!

The A/C adaptor ("the brick") and the wall A/C cord do not mate well. The wall cord metal connectors barely makes contact with the prongs in the brick. The shape of the head of the A/C cord does not match the shape of the cavity in the brick and prevent the head from setting firmly. There is just enough metal to metal contact to power the brick and thus the computer, but just a slight jostle of the brick can cause the connection to be lost and, consequently, power to the computer is lost.

It appears to be a design mistake as there is plenty of depth in the brick socket for a firm connection. Customer support has assured me the part numbers on the plastic bags are the ones listed for this laptop. I am having a hard time with the idea that I'll be saddled with this intermittent problem for the life of the computer.

I could cut away part of the surrounding housing on the brick and then the plug would seat further into the socket resulting in a better connection, but I'm concerned that Dell use that as an excuse to void the warranty.

Dell, please someone look into this, surely a mistake has been made. Someone in quality control needs to verify that the A/C cord is correctly designed for the brick.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 09:00

In my case the pins are in the right location. The shape of the wall plug and the shape of the socket in the end of the adaptor don't match. The plug is larger than the socket and consequently prevents the plug from fully seating in the brick socket. Dell straightened it out though and shipped me a correct setup. Here's the part numbers:

Brick: OUU572

Correct AC cord: OUY685

Incorrect AC cord (original shipment): OFX429

They're both the same length but the OUY685 seats fully into the brick socket, resulting in a firm connection. This took two calls to Dell to straighten out. The agent in the first call was going to ship the same part no. as in the original box, but I declined as I didn't see any hope it would be correct. The second agent sent the correct item and notice it has a different part number.

Issue resolved, but what a mess.

December 31st, 2008 07:00

I think Dell has at the presint time 3 difrant AC power corads and adapters they use why they dont just use one i dont know but i know there are 2 difrant dezines and 3 sizes and length wich

January 2nd, 2009 15:00

I have the same problem. I think the brick's output pin module was installed upside down.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2009 09:00

I ordered an xps 1330 that had the exact problem that you described.  I called technical support and they are sending me a replacement adapter and cord. 

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 10:00

Let us know how it works out. As I mentioned, the first agent was going to send me the same part numbers I already had. The second agent got it right.

1 Message

February 13th, 2009 10:00

Same thing happened here.  The incorrect power cord, model # OFX429 was sent wtih my laptop. 

The first time I called Dell support, the guy shipped out a new adapter, no power cord.  The second time around I called, the guy placed the order and assured me that I would receive the correct items. 

I was so glad to see the above message that showed the correct AC cord model #.  And once I received the new power cord, sure enough it was the model # OUY685.  There is now a perfect snug fit between the adapter and power cord.

If anyone else is having the same issue, make sure you place the call for the correct cord! 

No Events found!