Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

November 18th, 2008 06:00

XPS 1530 Hard Drive Problems - Endless Clicking

Recently I've been experiencing enormous problems with my XPS M1530 ... specifically with the hard drive.  The drive has always been on the loud side, but now it has turned into a noise-box, and it's affecting performance.  A couple days ago, my system blue-screened ... and when it rebooted, my laptop displayed a system message indicating that the hard drive could not be found.  Since that time, I've been able to reboot and get back into the laptop ... backup my information ... and access Windows again ... but the clicking has returned, and it's a lot worse that it was before. 

From a performance standpoint, my system is virtually useless.  It seems that each time the drive clicks, it blocks the laptop from continuing whatever it has been doing ... so my use of the system is sort of "jerky" as the clicking blocks me from proceeding.  I'm seeing lots of "Not Responding" messages in Windows ... and frequently the screen does that thing where Vista sorta greys out the screen while its waiting for the operating system to respond.  All of this from a machine that had previously been lightning quick. 

I've scanned for viruses.  Nothing.  I've scanned for spyware.  Nothing.  I've defragged the hard drive.  It's cleaned up.  I'm kind of out of options on what might be causing all of this aside from just general hardware failure of the drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, or what might be causing this?

Linked below is a link to a WAV file with audio of the clicking noise.

HD Click Audio

4.6K Posts

November 19th, 2008 03:00

I'm kind of out of options on what might be causing all of this aside from just general hardware failure of the drive.

Whilst the 'noise' is very quiet (a contradiction, if ever there was!), and nothing like as bad as the noise you hear on 3.5" desktop drives when they're starting to fail, I can't think of anything else it could be?

At first, I thought it might just be Windows cacheing or defragmenting files 'on the fly', but it's too regular for that (it's only audible every 3 secs or so), which leads me to susoect it could very well be a problem with the drive?

The only way to tell for sure, would be to replace the drive.  But if the laptop is still under warranty, you obviously don't want to be paying for hardware replacements outta your own pocket - especially when it's just to perform some troubleshooting.

You should call tech support if it is under warranty.  If it's not, then you will have to cough up... or try to borrow a known working drive?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful - or even more optimistic, but as I say... it's not a noise I've come across before?

Touch wood - I've never had a problem with any 2.5" drive :(

10 Posts

November 19th, 2008 06:00

Thanks for the response.  I ended up going the "replace it under warranty" route, as I've still got quite a bit of time on my warranty, and my system has become virtually unusable.  It's also a good opportunity to start with a clean Windows install, as I requested a bare drive instead of one imaged with the usual pile of useless software.  I also switched drive manufacturers, since this was a Samsung ... I'm going to give Seagate a try.  Hopefully this will do the trick ....

Thanks again for the response.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2008 11:00

I am having the same problem. My HD makes some strange irritating noise. It's like my HD is continuasly working hard if you hear the noise that my HD makes. A friend from me has the same laptop Dell XPS m1530 and his laptop is running realy silent. If you hear mine its also an noise box . The clicking and scratching comes from my HD. I didn't send an email to dell yet but I am going to do that.

I realy hope that the problem can be fixed because my laptop is only 1 week old and it's already make noise like a computer from 5 or more years old. That's a shame!

4.6K Posts

November 25th, 2008 00:00

I am having the same problem. My HD makes some strange irritating noise. It's like my HD is continuasly working hard if you hear the noise that my HD makes. A friend from me has the same laptop Dell XPS m1530 and his laptop is running realy silent. If you hear mine its also an noise box . The clicking and scratching comes from my HD. I didn't send an email to dell yet but I am going to do that.

I realy hope that the problem can be fixed because my laptop is only 1 week old and it's already make noise like a computer from 5 or more years old. That's a shame!

Welcome to the forums :emotion-5:

Have you contacted tech support about it?

2 Posts

November 25th, 2008 02:00

I did yesterday , I am still waiting for a response from the support.

4.6K Posts

November 26th, 2008 09:00

I did yesterday , I am still waiting for a response from the support.

I hope they're not too long in getting back to you... but if you get few up waiting on them to do so, try the (real-time) 'Chat Online' option.

22 Posts

November 30th, 2008 13:00

I can certainly relate to you guys on this hard drive issue.  Listen to this!  I have had my M1530 for about 3 months and I am awaiting the 4th, yes, I said 4th! hard drive to install. 4 in 3 months. Not to mention, the tech was at my office 2 weeks ago to replace the motherboard, and then again last week to replace the speakers. I have been on the phone with tech support more in the last 3 months than I have been in 20 years. The thing has almost been totally rebuilt, but I am wondering, when do I give it back to them? It has been down more time than it has been working.

93 Posts

November 30th, 2008 13:00

Texhunt, it's time to look into your state's Lemon Law as your's would seem to qualify as a Lemon in my book.  I know that here in Wisconsin that it would (the same componant failing three times under warranty qualifies up here). 

To the rest of you, figure out what brand of Hard Drive is installed in you laptops, go to that manufacturers website, download THEIR diagnostic utility, and run the thorough test.  If it's defective that should reveal it.  It's a considerably more exhaustive diagnostic than the one that Dell provides. 

39 Posts

November 30th, 2008 14:00

There is an acoustic drive program that quiets hard drives.  This program may be causing problems with the hard drives.  It may not be what's causing these problems, but it is very odd that 3 hard drives in a row would fail.  Even cheaper 2.5 inc hard drives are usually very reliable.

1 Message

December 10th, 2008 15:00

Fellow consumers,

It is time for a consumer advocacy group and a lawyer. I've had hard drive problems, vista conflicts with everything, AVerTV media problems, audio problems, internet freezing problems (vista and roxio De created the problem), blue tooth problems, and most importantly CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROBLEMS (they don't familiarize themselves with your case details, ask redundant questions that are answered in the case details, don't understand that they create problems oft times, with their imposed resolutions. they don't get back to you when they say they will and just seem to be generally unprepared to deal with customer issues. I had to yell and scream at technical support to get them to honor my warranty by sending someone to install/replace a defective part. The case was not documented accurately, either.

Further, they send me a "re-built" hard drive that registers as 186 gb (I purchased 200gb) on the dell system diagnostics and drivers. However, when you run system set up it states 200gb. the explanation is that different mathematical measures are used....Baloney......200gb is 200gb. I am in the united states and use the product in the u.s. the metrics should match what is told to the consumer, period. I believe Customers successfully sued another company for this kind of foolishness. In fact, I am certain of it. It is time to band together cohesively and get these outstanding, egregious problems resolved for once and for all. After all, these computers are not free or inexpensive; nor is the customer support you must pay for.

3.6K Posts

December 10th, 2008 15:00

nomorebs,

Your hard drive size is accurate,a 200gb HDD with windows installed and the recovery drive D: plus media direct, should show as 186gb.

Before install yes it will be 200gb.And dell

11 Posts

December 13th, 2008 02:00

Hello all,

Just got my XPS M 1530 yesterday and i'm getting stress of the 'click'-sounds my HDD makes. Seems to be the start of a problem also other users reported.

I think i'll use it a maximum during the weekend to see if that 'clicking' is fading.

Strange Dell doenst' anticipate on that problem as many ppl reported it.

Regards,

Theorica

1 Message

December 22nd, 2008 16:00

I just got mine today and it started clicking this evening?   Has yours gone away?  Do you have the 500 gb hard drive?

11 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 23:00

For more information on this (clicking noise of HDD) issue, please look at the:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=168425&highlight=clicking+sound

11 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 23:00

Hi,

MuY HDD is indeed a 500 GB of Samsung

My clicking problem of the HDD stopped after I took contact with the DELL helpdesk. See lower for what they mailed me. I did every step, but it was the last step (step 3) that helped (puttng the HDD sound mode on PERFORMANCE). Anyway, you should follow every step so you know for sure there is nothing wrong with your HDD. But normally if you execute step 3 the noise problem will stop.

DELL-help

The clicking sound from the hard drive may be a normal behaviour, but to make sure there is not a hardware failure, please perform these tests:

1.Please install the latest BIOS for your system:

For a detailed guide on how to install it, please click the Installation Instructions.

2. Please run the Dell 32 bit diagnostics:
(which is essential to ensure, that there is not a hardware defect on your system.)

Please restart the computer.

Tap F12 during startup when the Dell? splash screen appears.

Press the to highlight Boot to Utility Partition and then press .

When the Main Menu appears, click Custom Test.

On the new screen which appears after choosing CUSTOM TEST, please mark the HARD DRIVE tests.

If the previous steps were performed, please click on RUN TESTS (located on the bottom, left side of the screen)
Please follow the on screen instructions to complete testing.

Please write down the error messages (which appear in new POP-UP windows) and also at which component it was found (you can see it on the left side of the screen).

I thank you in advance for performing these steps and informing us about the diagnostic results.

If the diagnostics returns no errors, the hard drive is functioning fine.

3. Please try these solutions for the clicking noise:

Please power up the PC, or if the PC is already turned on, shut it down and then power up the system.
Press F2 during the first few seconds, while the initial Dell logo is on the screen, to enter the BIOS.
please use the arrow keys to highlight PERFORMANCE.
Please navigate here to the HDD ACOUSTIC MODE section.
Set the mode to QUIET.
Press Enter to confirm.
Please press Esc .
Press navigate to Save Changes and Exit and press Enter.

If this BIOS change does not help, and the clicking noise still appears, please go to BIOS again and this time change the HDD ACOUSTIC MODE to PERFORMANCE.

No Events found!