Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 26th, 2016 12:00

XPS 9550: headphone Jack connector problems

Hello there,

has anyone else experienced a problem with the headphone connector? I think something inside is broken in the meaning that once I plug the headset/headphone I can only hear from one channel.

If I touch the wire or play a little bit with the connector, it works perfectly.

The service@Dell told me it's a driver related problem, a conflict between the IntelGFX and the hardware which is still not resolved and suggested me to ask for a reimbursement since "it's a known problem"

This solution seems a little bit drastic to me, I think it;s a problem with the jack connector or how it's soldered on the mainboard. Anyhow I accepted it, but I was just curios i f somebody else, with this problem, has tried to play a little bit with the connector.

thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 26th, 2016 15:00

If wiggling the jack makes a difference it sounds like a problem with the headphone jack to me, i am curious, have you tested external speakers different head phones and if so did you still notice the problem?

When using the integrated speakers and not the headphones does sound seem ok? 

Barring a problem with the one pair of headphones it does seem like a hardware issue and that a service is required.  If possible try testing with another set of speakers if you haven't already and if the problem continues please reply back here and will shoot you a friend request to get your information and research possible service options. 

TB

1 Message

June 7th, 2016 11:00

I'm having the same issue with the audio jack (sound only on one side....wiggling the connector corrects the problem).Tested two sets of headphones (work fine on other computers) and an output cable to my car audio. I purchased the XPS 15 9550 late May 2016. I will be returning the product. Several years ago, I purchased one of the original XPS 15 laptops and experienced Dell's problems with the touchpad. I recommend that Dell begin paying attention to its quality control. 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2016 18:00

Thank you for posting. 

TB

17 Posts

June 19th, 2016 03:00

Dear Terry and Community,

now that I sent back the laptop and I got the reimbursement ( :emotion-1: ) I can write more about that issue.

Briefly the culprit is that little sponge inside the cover, that presses the connector: i think it has a sort of conductive layer that while the cover is closed creates shortcuts on the connector (this one has pins on the top).

Easy workaround: open the laptop, put a piece of insulating tape between the connector and the sponge, close the cover and enjoy.

Long history: I tried the suggestions from Terry and checked with external speakers, new hedphones, new headset and nothing changed. Out of curiosity I wanted to check if some hardware connections was failing isnide the laptop but everything seemed good. I switched on the laptop and the audio started working fine, no issue at all, either playing with the connector and the cable and either iwth Dell's audio utilty or Realtek's one. I closed the cover and the problem raised again. "***!" I thought..  Did open again and no problem. Then I checked the cover and found a little sponge with some conductive layer on the top (or at least that seems conductive). Checked the connector again and found that its pins could be shortcut by that sponge, so I tried putting a piece of paper between the connector and the sponge, closed the cover, switched on the laptop and everything was working again also playing with the wire and connector, no problem at all.

So I believe this is a hardware related problem and not software as suggested by the techcnician at DELL. But you know, why should I take a defective product? So I asked for a refund and now I see if something might change on the next release of the laptop (I doubt)

July 14th, 2016 02:00

I just got my XPS 15 yesterday, having the same issues. Both my headphones need some upward pressure to make contact. Those headphones work well on anything else I have.

17 Posts

July 15th, 2016 01:00

That's bad. I've just ordered again a new XPS because I've been told that such problems were corrected.

Try my patch and see if it works. You can easily unscrew the cover and put a piece of tape on the top of the jack connector, close and see.. Could you write your feedbacks here? At least I would know if I was lucky :-)

No Events found!