Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

15 Posts

May 12th, 2017 07:00

Update: Just after posting above I'm still getting some screen flickers. Confirmed in Device Manager that I'm definitely still running 4664.

Is this an issue with all of these laptops or has anyone had an exchange and received one that worked fine? Is it worth getting an exchange with Dell and seeing if the issue is fixed? Am quite dubious about returning it for another one because my 14 day refund period will pass then I'll literally be stuck with it, and possibly just have to keep exchanging them until one works, which would be ridiculous.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2017 14:00

XPS 15 4k/1TB/32 Gb

Bios 1.2.4

Intel driver .4664

Latest Nvidia drivers.

No Chrome installed.

Windows 10 Pro no clean install made.

I use the screen in 4k resolution and all browsers maximized.

I have no screen flicker since I installed the Intel driver 5 days ago.

I did not use word and excel files, so for the moment I can not confirm any stuttering in this apps.

1 Message

May 13th, 2017 07:00

I have msi gs63 7rf INTEL G630 + GTX 1060. Also noticed that sometimes when working in google chrome on the top of the screen for 0.25 seconds flickers  

46 Posts

May 14th, 2017 03:00

@eu_ro

Same situation and same configuration, was experiencing regular flickering until 10 days ago... since the new driver not a single instance. I am using word, excel, various pdf readers and statistical programs and still nothing (never used chrome though). Both intel (.4664) and nvidia (.8225) drivers I use are the generic versions dowloaded from the intel and nvidia sites, and installed after uninstalling the old ones in safe mode, as @ugionet described in page 12. Additionally at the same time as installing the drivers I made some changes to the bios settings, which are most probably totally unrelated to the resolution of the flickering (changed my battery charging pattern to "desktop replacement usage" or something like that, deactivated warnings if chargers with lower power are used)

6 Posts

May 14th, 2017 13:00

Thank you Sin_naoi for feedback. I also used lightly word and excel in the last 2 days and no flicker. Also the absence of chrome might be important even if I had flicker before driver update without chrome.

Would be nice to know if other can check and confirm what versions of BIOS and drivers use and the flicker status.

I do believe that this combination of BIOS and drivers is a real working solution.

21 Posts

May 14th, 2017 17:00

There is a new BIOS 1.3.3 just came out from Dell, marked as "Urgent"

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Althrough it did not say anything about flickering, but the version jumped from 1.2.4 to 1.3.3 I would assuming the updates contains more than it says

Fixes & Enhancements

Updated Intel ME Firmware to address security advisory CVE-2017-5689 / INTEL-SA-00075"

21 Posts

May 14th, 2017 18:00

There is a new BIOS 1.3.3 just came out from Dell, marked as "Urgent"

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=44G3M

Though it did not say anything about flickering, but the version jumped from 1.2.4 to 1.3.3 I would assuming the updates contains more than it says

Fixes & Enhancements

Updated Intel ME Firmware to address security advisory CVE-2017-5689 / INTEL-SA-00075"

8 Posts

May 15th, 2017 12:00

@RickyGao I updated to the new BIOS 1.3.3 and it caused my flickering to be WORSE while using Microsoft Powerpoint and Excel. However, I found some updates for Intel through the Dell Support Assist app inside the Windows menu, and I think it calmed down the flickering. I believe I saw it once so far? Hoping it doesn't come back.

8 Posts

May 15th, 2017 21:00

The BIOS update still causes the barcodes to flicker and this time they stay longer flashing on the screen. Idk what to do at this point. Will Dell Support people help me install the generic Intel 4664 driver? I don't want to mess up my computer more by myself.

40 Posts

May 16th, 2017 02:00

I see Dell has gone back to failing to respond to our queries in this thread.

15 Posts

May 16th, 2017 06:00

Had arranged to send mine back for a refund, but the flickering mysteriously stopped. I thought the new BIOS update and Intel update had helped. Was working completely fine for nearly 2 entire days of work, absolutely zero flicker during those days. I've not installed any new updates and today it's flickering again, and also won't play any full screen videos in Chrome ie YouTube for example, it gets stuck and if you don't press ESC then Chrome will completely crash.

Dell gave me an extra 3 weeks to check the machine out with an option to return for a refund so I'd love to get it sorted by then, otherwise it'll definitely go back since I need to use this for graphics work and it's unacceptable for a high end laptop to work as badly as this.

May 16th, 2017 09:00

I too updated the bios and the flickering got worse.  

I have the 4k 32 gig 1tb ssd model.  Bought it in April at CostCo which has a 3 month full refund policy for laptops... so Dell has another 2 months to get their **** together before I dump this thing.

46 Posts

May 16th, 2017 14:00

Before leaving this thread, since my problem has been resolved with the installation of the 4664 generic intel driver 15 days ago I would like to summarize in detail the steps I took because I find it a pity that people with the same problem still haven't resolve it. I hope it helps. The steps were described by @ugionet in page 12 and there are some additions I had to do to prevent windows from automatically and silently rolling back the driver  

1 deactivate windows automatic driver updates as described in this guide: winsupersite.com/.../stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

2. Download and install the “Display Driver Uninstaller” (www.guru3d.com/.../display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

3. Go to the Intel site and download the latest HD 630 driver (version .4664). Download the zip file not the .exe file for the driver software and extract the same on the desktop

4. Run the Display Driver Uninstaller and select to uninstall the intel driver in safe mode

5. Your computer will reboot and the uninstalling will take place. Continue with the driver installation as follows without restarting your computer.

6. To install the driver go to the device manager (through the option settings in the start menu) and chose the Intel HD630 device under “display adapters”. The device will be probably called “Microsoft basic display adapter” or something like that.

7. Choose the Driver tab and select Update Driver in Device Manager

8. Select browse my computer for driver software

9. Select let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

10. Select Have Disk... button in lower right-hand area

11. Navigate to folder where you extracted the Intel beta drivers.

12. You must go into the Graphics folder and choose the igdlh64 file.

13. On the Install from Disk window choose OK

8 Posts

May 16th, 2017 21:00

WAIT one last question!! Is there any noticeable differences between using the generic.4664 vs the one Dell installed??:o

40 Posts

May 17th, 2017 02:00

I have unmarked the above as a verified answer as people are still getting flicker with v4664. Also it does not resolve the Excel screen corruption and it seems Chrome stutter lag might have returned on mine.

By the looks of it Dell are not going to answer any of the questions we raised for them in this thread (such as 1. Are they looking into Excel scrolling corruption, 2 Are they looking at browser stutter lag and 3 When will their Support Line staff be made aware of this issue). It looks like all Dell will do is send us generic "we're working on it" messages (for nearly 3 months now) whilst their Support Line denies any knowledge of it and simply advises us to reinstall Windows (since when has that ever resolved anything?!). I understand that they took this very same approach with the 9550, the 4k model of which still has the issue over 18 months since it was first raised.

Given Dell's failure to offer any answers or solutions, I am going to go back to reporting every single report of this issue from Reddit, etc. Otherwise I fear Dell will win by taking our £2k and running without fixing the issues (just like they did with the 9550).

No Events found!