Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2017 14:00

XPS 9560 Speed Shift - when will Dell enable via BIOS update?

Still waiting for Dell to update BIOS to enable SpeedShift on the 9560 and 9550 premium XPS laptops.

When will this happen?

5 Posts

May 19th, 2017 08:00

It'd be nice to know WHY the engineers chose to ignore it. It's a major selling point of the Kaby Lake line and it's something your customers have paid for. Is it laziness? Is there a compelling technical reason that we're not hearing about? Would enabling it ourselves be problematic in some way? Void my warranty? This is my first Dell in many years and I swore I'd never buy another, after all the inexcusable problems I've had in the past. While this isn't a huge deal - combined w/ the few little problems I've had with my XPS so far, I'm wondering if this will be my last Dell.

June 20th, 2017 15:00

For Linux users at least of the Dell XPS 9360 - I just checked and it is enabled, according to the MSR readout:

19:13:48 root@localhost:/home/jospoortvliet/>zypper in msr-tools
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...
The following NEW package is going to be installed:
 msr-tools
1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 22.6 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 52.9 KiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving package msr-tools-1.3-6.3.x86_64 22.6 KiB ( 52.9 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: msr-tools-1.3-6.3.x86_64.rpm ................................................[done]
Checking for file conflicts: ............................................................[done]
(1/1) Installing: msr-tools-1.3-6.3.x86_64 ..............................................[done]
r23:09:38 root@localhost:/home/jospoortvliet/>rdmsr 0x770

See the msr-tools website for info about what it is and does https://01.org/msr-tools

According to the discussion on http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-497#post-10343728 if 0x770 is set to 1 speedshift is enabled. I suspect it was either enabled by Linux itself or by the last Dell Bios update from May.

July 9th, 2017 06:00

Come on dell engineers enable SpeedShift on the 9560 and 9550 premium XPS notebooks.

I have paid a mass for my XPS 15 9550 and I will have this state of the art technology enabled.

I can not accept to have a premium notebook and a state of the art technology is not enable by default because the manufacturer engineers refuse to enable it, what’s a mess.

25 Posts

September 10th, 2017 17:00

It's bad enough Dell abandons my 9550, but to also abandon their newest 9560?  Pathetic.  Even HP has updated their BIOS periodically to improve the users' experience.  I'll be looking at other manufacturers for my next laptop, and so will my family and friends...

Thanks for nothing Dell Engineer.  

489 Posts

September 11th, 2017 00:00

I don't really care anymore because I could do it myself (unlike some other stuff, aaargh).

But I am curious why not.

10 Posts

September 11th, 2017 03:00

So searching forums I've found a UEFI edit tool, using this I can change the setup_var 0xd8 value to enable or disable speedstep.

It's literally already there, just tick the box to enable it when building the next BIOS version. As other posts here have shown you're letting competitors laptops run rings around your premium laptops because you can't be bothered to check a box. It's supported and managed by Intel, it works, just enable it.

No Events found!