Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2013 17:00

XPS L521X SSD Upgrade

Hi,

Have recently purchased a 256gb SSD Drive and replaced the 750gb originally installed. Also have a 32gb mSata installed.

Upon rebuilding the system kept hanging. Had a quick look round and found various threads which have frazzled me somewhat. 

What is the correct BIOS setting? Some threads say AHCI? Others Intel Rapid Technology. Am I missing something obvious?

Can an someone please advise and if possible detail install process you recommend.

Thanks

Rich

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 28th, 2013 17:00

Hi Rich,

Dell has tested the system with maximum 128 GB SSD drive; however 256 GB SSD has not been tested by Dell.

For the BIOS settings, if you are using a mechanical drive you may use Intel Smart Response Technology to cache the most frequently accessed data to SSD for faster access.

However, as you are using a SSD drive to install the operating system, there is no need for the ISRT to be enabled.

You may install the operating system in the AHCI mode, as operating system being installed on the SSD would automatically provide you faster access.

For any further assistance with operating system installation, please share the operating system you want to install.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2013 01:00

Hi Kuldeep,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

I finished installing Win7 Ult late last night so will be transferring data over this evening - this was the point at which the laptop kept hanging and I even encountered BSOD at one point.

Again, on another thread, I read to avoid installing certain Intel drivers for the AHCI chipset. Can you confirm or advise around this point please? Is there a 'better' (more stable) microsoft alternative?

Many Thanks

Rich

4 Posts

August 29th, 2013 04:00

Do I need to do any extra config, ie disable, around Intel Rapid Start Technology GUI ?

Incidentally this isn't currently installed on laptop - what would be best process to disable this if required?

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

August 29th, 2013 13:00

Hi Rich,

You do not have to install any specific drivers for running the operating system in the AHCI mode.

You may download and install the required drivers including chipset from the Dell support website. Click on the link provided in the signature below.

On the link, enter the system Service Tag and click on ‘Continue’. Select the operating system and it will display a list of available downloads.

To check the correct order for driver installation, refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/12yaACW

Also, if you have installed the operating system in the AHCI mode, you do not have to disable any option for Intel Rapid Start Technology or install any related driver.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you further.

No Events found!